Council to hear proposal for advisory commission

Erin Magnani

A proposal to create a Student Affairs Commission to advise the Ames City Council is planned to be discussed at the council’s regular meeting Tuesday.

Government of the Student Body President Angela Groh said this commission would deal with policy issues that directly affect students and certain community members to find solutions that are beneficial for everyone.

“It is to provide more immediate access for students to city government and to really have continuous dialogue on issues that uniquely and directly affects students and be proactive instead of reactive, so we solve problems before they get blown out of proportion,” Groh said.

“It provides an opportunity for City Council to refer ordinances or issues that affect students to this commission so that students can provide feedback and support.”

Ex-officio student liaison to city council Tony Borich said the commission would be comprised of primarily students and certain community members that are directly affected by student issues, like property rental businesses and the Ames Chamber of Commerce.

Policy solutions that are proposed by this commission wouldn’t necessarily be accepted by the council, Groh said, but it would provide more available options.

Several council members expressed concern after discussions about the commission with Groh and Borich earlier this summer. Groh said the main concern seemed to be over the initial commission proposal consisting of only students, which has now been revised to include other community members.

“Some on council have raised concerns that this would give students an unfair or unwarranted level of input into the policy process at the city level, and some of that related to the initial proposal that was comprised entirely of students,” Borich said. “The revised proposal is to include non-student members, as well.”

Councilman Matthew Goodman said he hasn’t made a decision yet about supporting the commission but is “more comfortable with the new proposal.”

“Inclusion of other stakeholders makes it less of a special interest committee and more of a special solution committee,” he said.

Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco said he supports the creation of a Student Affairs Commission but still has some questions regarding appointments of members, because all appointments are approved by council in other boards and commissions.

Councilman Steve Goodhue said he supports the idea of the commission but isn’t sure if this commission is the right one.

“I think something of this nature would be a good idea, but I don’t know if this structure is what we should do,” he said. “I’m willing to listen tomorrow night and help establish direction because this is fostering more student-community involvement, which is important.”

A similar commission has been established at the University of California-Davis and Michigan State University, Groh said, and she has spoken with the University of California-Davis’ commission.

“I’ve spoken quite frequently with the person leading the commission about addressing policies and how it works,” she said. “I’ve gathered it is very effective she has improved the university and city relations and is a productive tool when looking at policy that deals with students.”

Tedesco said after the council hears the proposal Tuesday night, the issue should be voted on at a later meeting. Borich said he hopes the council will refer this to city staff to come up with a resolution it can vote on.

“I hope they approve it at a later meeting, but it is council’s discretion as to how quickly it can move forward,” he said.