Women’s soccer wins third straight match

Luke Plansky

The ISU women’s soccer team won its third straight match – recording its fourth shutout this season – and handed Colorado College its first loss of the season Sunday in a 2-0 decision.

More importantly, the Cyclones (4-2-1) put together the complete performance coach Rebecca Hornbacher said she was looking for in the early stages of the season. Consistent passing, defense and overall hustle helped Iowa State please Hornbacher, not only with the final result, but also with the method the Cyclones used to dismantle a talented team. The Tigers (5-1) were coming off of a big victory over 18th-ranked Nebraska last Friday.

“It was a phenomenal team effort,” Hornbacher said. “I was really proud of the intensity. It was the most complete game we have played all season as a team.”

Freshman forward Leslie Hill scored her first goal as a Cyclone with 1:43 left in the first half, and Renee de St. Aubin put the game away with her third score in as many games.

Iowa State dominated from start to finish, outshooting Colorado 20-5, controlling possession for the majority of the contest. The Cyclones have already matched the four shutouts in 20 games they had last season, and are halfway to the win total.

Hornbacher said sophomore goalkeeper Joanna Haig isn’t the sole purpose for the Cyclones’ defensive domination.

“Joanna would be the first one to tell you that it takes the whole team in front of you to get a shutout,” Hornbacher said. “Our defense has been extremely solid, winning balls, staying organized and not allowing them to get a lot of shots. Getting a team shut out has been a goal for us.”

Haig finished with four saves and, as a sophomore, is already third on the Cyclones all-time list with six shutouts.

St. Aubin leads the team in goals.

“It’s really starting to click all of the sudden,” St. Aubin said. “We are ready to roll into our conference. It is nice to start winning games.”

With 11:27 left in the game, St. Aubin hit a line-drive shot from the top of the box and into the upper left corner of the net. The sophomore had game-winning goals against South Dakota State and Iowa in her team’s previous two victories.

“Renee had a heck of a shot from the top of the box that was just a rocket,” Hornbacher said. “She had [a shot] earlier in the half that was off the crossbar.”

Hill’s header resulted after a throw-in from Elisa Berzins to Brittanie Waddell, who passed to the freshman forward. Both Berzins and Waddell earned an assist on the play.

“Berzins took the long throw-in, and Waddell flicked it to me,” Hill said. “The keeper came out, and then I flicked it past her.”

Goalkeeper Geneva Sills took her first loss of the season for the Tigers, but had 12 saves.

Iowa State will play its two last nonconference games this weekend, facing Creighton and Drake in the Bulldog Bash in Des Moines.