Cyclones expect a battle to remember

Pat Brown

Tuesday on ESPN, former NCAA football coach Lou Holtz said the University of Iowa will get more of a game out of Northern Iowa on Sept. 17 than they will against the Cyclones this Saturday.

Coach Dan McCarney thought otherwise.

“It’s easy to see why he’s not coaching now,” he said at a “beat Iowa” pep rally Tuesday.

McCarney addressed a crowd of students in the parking lot across the street from the Jacobson Athletic Building. Students congregated in the parking lot at 6:30 p.m., a crowd wearing mostly “beat Iowa” gear.

Team captains Kory Pence, Tim Dobbins and Nick Leaders also spoke at the rally.

“Five years the Cy-Hawk trophy’s been in Ames, out of the last seven,” McCarney said. “It’s been gone for a couple of years, and with your tremendous help and support, two-thirds of the country will hopefully get a chance to see the Cyclones bring that trophy back where it belongs right here in Ames, Iowa.”

When Pence addressed the crowd, he reminded it of who he thought should come first in the rivalry game.

“Remember that it is the Iowa State-Iowa game, not the Iowa-Iowa State game,” Pence said.

“On Saturday, we get to show not only the state of Iowa, but also the whole country, as well, that this is Cyclone Country — Cyclone Nation.”

Leaders promised all of the students they would see an entertaining game — one they all should be in attendance for.

“I can’t guarantee what the score is going to be at the end of the game, but I can guarantee you this — it’s going to be a Cyclone team you’re going to be proud of,” he said.

“We’re going to be ready to go, and it’s going to be a hell of a game.”

Chris Anderson, sophomore in LAS-open option, said he attended the rally to support the Cyclones, especially this week.

“I think we can win,” he said. “I think Iowa’s a good team, but I think they’re going to come in a little over their heads and think they’re big stuff.”

Justin Umphress, senior in marketing, said he also came out to support the team, and said it’s important for all other ISU students to do the same.

“I know we can win, because they’re coming into our house,” Umphress said.

Although numerous ISU fans have expressed concern with the Cyclones’ performance against Illinois State last Saturday, some students have said it may have been beneficial.

“I was disappointed with our performance on Saturday, but I think it was just the first game, and it got some jitters out,” said Craig Montgomery, senior in construction engineering.

Overall, students voiced content with the idea behind the rally, but wanted to see more of their peers in with them.

“I was disappointed with the turnout, but I thought it was an overall good thing to have,” Montgomery said.

“I had fun, and a lot of people did turn out to show their support, I just wish we could have had a few more out here.”

With that, students must now wait until Saturday to cheer for the team again, when the Cyclones and Hawkeyes face off in Jack Trice Stadium.

McCarney told the crowd to expect a different team on the field than they saw against Illinois State.

“We know we’re capable of playing a lot better, and we will,” McCarney said.