Cyclone QBs eager to lead the team

Pat Brown

There was no delay, no hesitation. ISU quarterback Bret Meyer knew exactly what to say when asked about his expectations for the year.

“To win,” he said.

Being thrust into a position where he is forced to order people around who are older than him isn’t easy. Meyer said he is in a much more comfortable position than last year.

Last season the sophomore was in a race, a dogfight with teammate Austin Flynn for the starting job.

This season he is the clear starter, with senior Terrance Highsmith as his backup.

“For me, it’s just kind of a different role,” Meyer said.

“I feel like I kind of stepped into a little bit bigger of a leadership role.”

Coach Dan McCarney laid out his expectations for Meyer on media day on Aug. 4.

“Real high expectations, being realistic, knowing we’re going to see some great defenses, obviously,” he said.

“When you can do the things Bret Meyer did, and you’re 12th in the country in turnover ratio with a freshman quarterback — his presence, his personality don’t flinch.”

Some lead by demanding more of everyone, but the young quarterback said he prefers different tactics.

“That’s not really my style, to get after somebody like that,” Meyer said.

“But I definitely feel a little bit more comfortable now if I have to.”

Meyer is not the most publicized quarterback in the Big 12, but McCarney said that doesn’t mean he isn’t up to the task at hand.

“He’ll continue to get better, but you sure don’t see his name in the top three quarterbacks in the Big 12 because of what we have in this league,” McCarney said. “I think he’s pretty special, and Iowa State fans have to feel great about having him here for the next three years.”

Flynn has moved to wide receiver, joining junior Jon Davis and sophomores Todd Blythe and Milan Moses.

Flynn doesn’t have the most experience outside, but Meyer said he isn’t worried about that at all.

“I think Flynn’s just one of those guys that if we would have moved him to safety or corner, whatever position you would have put him in, he would have came out and played like he was a master from day one,” he said. “He’s just one of those types of players.”

With Flynn at wideout, Highsmith is Meyer’s backup. Highsmith, who returned punts and played some receiver last season, said he has a lot he can learn from the confident Meyer.

“I take advice from [Meyer] because this man has played in the Big 12, this man was a freshman All-American, this man knows what he’s talking about — obviously — the numbers don’t lie,” Highsmith said.

“I take advice from him and the coaching staff and I’ve been able to get a better grasp of the offense to get me in a better position to touch the field.”

Highsmith also said he brings other things to the table, and those things can benefit the team if called upon.

“I’m not your ordinary quarterback,” he said.

“I bring energy; I bring that relentless pursuit of success; I won’t quit and I’m going to compete until the end.”

For now, though, Highsmith will have to wait to show what he can bring as Meyer will run the show, having proven himself on and off the field.

“I’ve seen him in adversity and I’ve seen him handle success already,” McCarney said.

“I’ve seen him handle some setbacks, and I just see all those things from an intangible standpoint.”

As a sophomore, Meyer said he is well aware he is still learning as he goes, and is focusing mainly on game management, as well as throwing accuracy.

He also said he has improved physically in the off-season.

“I feel like I put on a little bit more, got a little bit stronger,” Meyer said.

“As far as speed, I feel maybe a little bit faster.”

The captain of the Cyclones said whatever happens this season, his leadership will not waiver for anything.

“I’m going to have confidence regardless,” Meyer said.

“As far as leadership though, I guess it’s kind of a bigger thing for me.

“It’s a little more accountability both on and off the field.”

The confidence not only rests in himself, he said.

“I think we have more cohesiveness as a group,” Meyer said.

“Even though we’re a pretty young team, we’ve been together for two, three or four years for some guys. Definitely, I think we’ll be more together than we were.”

— Grant Wall contributed to this article