Curves in Campustown?

Erin Magnani

For the most part, students are indifferent to or mildly supportive of the proposal of Dangerous Curves expanding to Welch Avenue.

ISU students of both genders expressed some support for having a “bikini bar” located in the heart of Campustown, although males showed more interest.

“It sounds like a good time,” said Patrick Tasler, senior in transportation and logistics. “I don’t think it being on Welch would be offensive at all.”

Nicole Davis, sophomore in sociology, said she also wouldn’t be offended if Dangerous Curves came to campus.

“I doubt I would go, but I wouldn’t have a problem with it being there,” she said. “I personally wouldn’t be offended, but I understand that some people might be.”

Jeremy Boekelman, owner of Dangerous Curves, 111 Fifth St., said college students are present at the downtown location, both as employees and patrons, and believes the majority of students are in support of the expansion.

“We get students in there, but not a drastic amount. We do get some every night, but they aren’t the majority of business,” he said. “Students work there as dancers, but not as bouncers or bartenders.”

Boekelman’s liquor license application for 122 Welch Ave. went before the Ames City Council on Tuesday night and was tabled until the Sept. 13 meeting because the issue of lapdancing occurring in the downtown location concerned council members.

Councilman Daryle Vegge said the council didn’t know lapdancing was going on at the downtown location until the Tuesday council meeting.

“It wasn’t about the issue of the liquor license and, in my mind, it wasn’t even the matter of the bikini stage performances,” Vegge said. “The lapdancing issue did raise a huge red flag under our current city ordinances, so it was tabled until we can study the ordinances and make a decision based on better information.”

Boekelman said he was disappointed with the meeting’s outcome.

“The issue before council was not addressed,” he said. “Everything addressed was based on an issue that wasn’t relevant. The liquor license should have been passed based on the evidence of no violations.”

Brian Towers, senior in transportation and logistics, said he has gone to the downtown bar with his friends and saw lapdancing. He said if one were located on Welch Avenue, he would definitely go.

“There was lapdancing,” he said. “There were also a lot of girls pulling guys’ shorts down and spanking them.”

Boekelman said, in his opinion, his employees are not violating any state law or zoning agreement.

“What we propose does not fall under adult entertainment, and I think that everything is being misunderstood,” he said. “There are some things that are subject to interpretation, but everything that we propose for the Welch location is legal and should have a positive impact on campus.”

The location on Welch will be more of a “show bar,” where dancers will just dance onstage, Boekelman said. He said Campustown is an ideal location because students are part of his target market.

“The heart of Campustown is where most students go out, and if you are targeting the college crowd, that is where you want to be,” he said.