Pieces of the puzzle falling into place

Grant Wall

Jason Berryman’s journey back onto the football field is complete.

Berryman will be the Cyclones’ starting defensive end when Iowa State takes the field against Illinois State on Sept. 3.

“Jason Berryman will start at one position and Shawn Moorehead will start at the other,” ISU coach Dan McCarney said in his weekly teleconference. “Cephus Johnson will play a lot, as I’ve told you all along. We feel like we have three starters at those positions, but those two will be the first ones to hit the field, barring any injuries.”

Berryman, the 2003 Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year, was reinstated onto the football team after spending 258 days in jail for theft and assault.

“He’s worked into it,” McCarney said. “He was not in football shape at all – he was in running shape, but there’s a big difference between being able to run and go play football.

“In the last week Jason has been playing outstanding, and he and Shawn Moorehead and Cephus all give us a really good chance to win games from those outside defensive positions.”

Berryman recorded 110 tackles as a freshman in 2003 and was named the Cyclones’ team MVP. His counterpart on the other side of the defensive line, Moorehead, had 46 tackles and 4.5 sacks last season as a sophomore.

Johnson had 23 tackles in 2004, but missed three games with a knee injury.

McCarney also said sophomore running back Jason Scales will miss at least the first game of the year after undergoing knee surgery.

“He won’t be ready,” McCarney said. “It’s just a day-to-day thing, trying to get his knee back. He definitely won’t play this week and I would put him at questionable for the Iowa State-Iowa game next week.”

McCarney said Greg Coleman and David Brown will see time in the backfield while Scales recovers.

“I would anticipate both of those guys playing in the game, regardless of what happens with the score,” McCarney said. “Stevie Hicks is our starter and then we’re going to work both those guys into the game also.”

A majority of the teleconference was spent updating ongoing battles at various positions.

Parts of the kicking game are also starting to fall into place, with Bret Culbertson holding down the No. 1 field goal and extra point position, McCarney said.

A starting offensive line has also been formed, with Scott Stephenson playing center and Johannes Egbers at tackle.

“The offensive line is so important to the performance of your offense,” McCarney said.

“[The skill players] are only going to go so far without an offensive line working together as a unit and playing well together.”

Returning starters Aaron Brant, Kory Pence and Seth Zehr round out the offensive line.

McCarney also talked about the growth of wide receiver Jon Davis during the offseason.

“He’s really slowly but surely developed into an outstanding receiver for us,” McCarney said. “I really like his consistency through camp and that’s the thing we were looking more for from Jon this year.

“I think he has really developed. There’s no doubt that if this group can stay healthy through the season our wide receiver group might be the best its been since I’ve been here.”

Davis led the Cyclones with 48 receptions as a sophomore, including two that went for scores. Against Nebraska he hauled in a 77-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Bret Meyer, the team’s longest play of the year.