Student found dead in creek

Erin Magnani and Eric Lunds

An ISU student found dead in College Creek on Tuesday morning along the 100 block of Hayward Avenue was legally blind, although his girlfriend said he didn’t let his disability hold him back.

The police identified the student as Jacob B. Hobson, 27, originally from Eldora. Hobson was a senior in psychology, according to the ISU Web site.

“With his disability, he was actually legally blind, and yet he managed to go to college,” said Ames resident Sara Sampson, Hobson’s girlfriend. “He was going to school to become a psychologist — had this not happened, he would have been one of the best psychologists you would ever know.”

Sampson, 30, said Hobson was an older, non-traditional student because of his disability. Still, she said, he stayed young at heart.

“He was never not happy, he was great with kids, he always had a smile on his face, he was basically just a kid at heart,” Sampson said. “He just lived young, I just want people to remember him as a good person and somebody who would have done anything for you whether he knew you or not.”

She said herself and Hobson both had an interest in helping the mentally ill, which is what she does for a living and what he was studying to do.

ISU Police Capt. Gene Deisinger said Hobson’s body was found Tuesday at approximately 8:47 a.m. in the creek, which runs between Lot 60 and the Collegiate United Methodist Church, 2622 Lincoln Way. The ISU Police are handling the investigation because Iowa State owns the property, but they have incorporated the help of Ames Police and the Department of Criminal investigations.

An autopsy was conducted Wednesday morning by Assistant State Medical Examiner Dr. Dennis Klein and the preliminary results indicated that Hobson died as a result of drowning and blunt force trauma to the head. Deisinger said the investigation remains open, pending final determination from Klein.

“We’re doing other blood tests for toxicology, which may take a few weeks — they are sent out of state,” Klein said. “It (blood tests) adds additional information that’s important to the case. It would tell the level of alcohol.”

Deisinger said it appears alcohol was a factor, but is not sure on the exact extent.

Sampson said she had been out with Hobson on Monday night, but declined to comment on what happened. She was not with him when the accident occurred.

Hobson was found face down in College Creek, with the water only a few inches deep, Deisinger said, and the death appears to have been the result of an accidental fall.

“The injuries were primarily head trauma and other minor abrasions consistent with a fall,” he said. “The investigation in conjunction with the autopsy doesn’t indicate foul play was involved, but it is an on-going investigation at this point.”

Deisinger said he does not believe anyone should have any cause to worry about safety on campus.

“We don’t see any indications that should cause safety concerns with assault on campus,” he said. “This is a very safe community.”

The last time a body was found on campus was October 2002 when Michael Babicz overdosed on dextromethorphan, a drug commonly found in cough medicines.