1,000 4-H members to gather on campus

Erin Magnani

More than 1,000 high school students are gathering on campus for the 2005 Iowa 4-H Conference.

The theme of this year’s conference is “Get in the Groove,” where youth will be encouraged to find their leadership “groove” through workshops, activities, community service and motivational speakers, said Brenda Allen, extension program specialist for youth and 4-H.

High schoolers from across the state are scheduled to attend this three-day conference starting Tuesday and going through Thursday.

“The students will be working in workshops, being trained on how to be effective working with adults and making decisions in their communities,” Allen said.

A traveling motivational group, R5 Productions, comprised mostly of students right out of high school, is scheduled to give several speeches on issues that affect youth every day.

“We talk about respecting others no matter what their background is and going for their dreams — not letting obstacles slow you down, whether they be family, peer pressures or economic issues,” said Mike Donahue, director of R5 Productions.

Their presentations were developed by students for students, he said.

“The presentations are very interactive, very funny and very real. It’s straight up out of their lives,” Donahue said.

One of the goals for the conference is exposing these students to a university campus atmosphere, Allen said.