City Council to kick back with concert attendants

Erin Magnani

“We want to have some balance between people who are elected.”

Ray Anderson, city planner

If you always wanted to rock out with the Ames City Council, your time is approaching.

Council members plan to attend the Ames Municipal Band concert on campus Thursday to help promote one community.

“The idea behind it was looking for unique ways to connect the council with the community in different settings besides council meetings,” said Councilman Russ Cross. “It’s a great opportunity to focus on one community and move something that has been a part of the city into the university setting.”

Cross said that the change in scenery, from Bandshell Park to Central Campus, is a positive thing.

“It’s a beautiful setting, and I think Iowa State is to be thanked for allowing the concert to be on central campus because it exposes the band to people that might not otherwise attend their concerts,” Cross said.

Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco said this has been an annual event for at least eight years.

“It was just a friendly gesture to make people more aware that the council does sponsor these concerts for the pleasure of the citizens, and it’s nice to share this with them,” Tedesco said.

The council started direct funding of the band in 1994.

Before the council members started attending municipal band concerts, they offered public gatherings where the council served coffee in order to connect with community members.

The Municipal Band concert, featuring Simon Estes, is planned for Thursday night on the north end of the Campanile on central campus.

Free cookies and lemonade should be served after 6:45 p.m., the pre-concert shows begin at 7 p.m. and the Municipal Band will begin playing at 7:30 p.m.