Program names Tartakov interim dean

Erin Magnani

An interim director for the African-American Studies program has been announced.

Gary Tartakov, professor of art and design, will step in as the new interim director July 1 after J. Herman Blake, current director of African-American Studies, retires.

Doug Epperson, associate dean of liberal arts and sciences administration, said Tartakov will serve as the interim director for about a year until a replacement candidate is found.

He said Tartakov was asked to step in by Michael Whiteford, dean of liberal arts and sciences.

‘We looked at people across campus who would be interested in African-American Studies,’ he said. ‘Then we talked to members of the advisory board to ensure that it was a good choice.’

Tartakov has been involved with the African-American Studies program since it originated in 1990 and was part of the advisory board for J. Herman Blake.

‘I was actually part of the group of five or six people that originally created the department many years ago,’ Tartakov said. ‘I”ve had a continuing interest in it for a long time.’

He said he is on his way to retirement, but wanted to help keep the program going without losing any ground.

‘I wanted to do a last little bit to see that the program continues under Blake”s direction and help find a new director to continue it in the best shape possible,’ Tartakov said.

He said he plans to continue teaching in the College of Design while he is the interim director, but he will only head The Art of India.

Epperson is chairman of a search committee made up of six faculty members, two students and a representative from student affairs to find a new full-time director.

‘The search committee is interdisciplinary because the program is interdisciplinary,’ Epperson said. ‘Half of the committee is from the advisory board within the African-American program.’

A national search has begun with ads placed in key print publications, he said. Applications and nominations are being accepted until August 15. The applications will then be reviewed and the interviewing process will begin.