Four years or two? You decide

Erin Magnani

Students and city leaders are preparing themselves for two potential changes up for vote by Ames residents in Tuesday’s special election.

The issues — changing City Council terms from four years to two, and increasing the hotel/motel tax from 5 percent to 7 percent — have spurred debate among Ames citizens for weeks.

More than two dozen students have actively campaigned for the two-year City Council term proposal. A petition signed mainly by students put the proposal on the ballot.

“I think people support the two-year terms,” said Ryan Doll, junior in political science. “More students will probably vote because of the two-year terms, but the hotel/motel tax increase is good, too.”

Mansoor Khadir, senior in computer science, said he canvassed off campus Saturday and Sunday in precincts 23 and 24 to broaden awareness of the council term issue.

“We went door-to-door seeing people who don’t attend Iowa State to make sure they understand the two-year term issue,” Khadir said. “I also encourage everyone to do some research to find the benefits and weaknesses of the hotel/motel tax to decide what their best option is.”

There are differing opinions when it comes to the length of City Council terms.

“I’m in support of keeping four-year terms because there is nothing that prohibits young adults and students in particular from running right now,” said Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco.

“Also, I think the hotel/motel tax should increase. Five percent was the maximum, but now we can go up to 7 percent because the state Legislature changed the state code.”

Tedesco said he hoped there will be a large turnout, but students seem very complacent about voting.

Satellite votes from Wednesday and Thursday have been counted but not processed, said Mary Mosiman, Story County auditor. Results show that 222 ballots were cast from the satellite stations — 96 voters Wednesday and 125 voters Thursday.

“If there is any indication from the satellite voting, there will be a very low turnout,” Tedesco said. “I thought, personally, with satellite voting on campus more students would vote.”

Doll, however, said he thought this was a good turnout for a special election.

“There were only about 450 votes cast at satellite stations for the November election,” Doll said. “Compared with that, I think this is a good turnout.”

Previous estimates had projected voter turnout to be close to 7,000 people; however, many, including those involved in promoting the election, have said it seemed high.

Mosiman said the votes cast through the satellite stations were evenly mixed among students, faculty and community members. The ballots from the satellite station and other absentee ballots won’t be processed until Tuesday.

Mosiman said they will start transmitting poll results at 8 p.m. when the polls close.

The unofficial results will be posted on the Story County auditor’s Web page as soon as they are all received.

Mosiman said the election results would be announced before 9 p.m. Tuesday.

The results will be certified April 12.