Arthur promises a personal touch, collective vision

Erin Magnani

One candidate for the Department of Residence promises to give it a new direction and vision with a personal touch.

Ginny Arthur, associate director of residence life, said her plan for the first six months in the position would be to actively seek student feedback and become more visible in the residence halls by walking around and talking with students..

“I would make sure I get to house meetings at least once in the six months and visit with the staff. People need to be heard — students, staff and collaborators,” Arthur said.

“The challenge would be fitting it into a schedule. And whether it can be kept up constantly is the question, but I think it’s critical in the beginning.”

Arthur said the new director should have a leadership style that is very inclusive, which she described inclusive as listening, integrating what he or she hears and incorporating it in a collective vision.

“We need to seek feedback and incorporate it,” Arthur said.

“There is a lot of work to be done, but we have made strides in the past year.”

She said another issue she would focus on uncertainty throughout the department’s staff, as people have been laid off in response to budget cuts and as there has not been a director, Arthur said.

“There are morale issues for the staff that need to be addressed,” she said.

“Staff needs to understand why they do what they do and understand their connection with students.”

Todd Holcomb, interim director of the Department of Residence, said there has been positive feedback from students about the department.

“There is positive motion from students coming back. And we are paying more attention to transfer students, Schilletter and University Village, and listening to students about a fresh start,” Holcomb said.

Arthur said she wants to focus more on transfer and existing student issues because the department is not heavily dependent on new students.

“Right now transfer students may not live in the residence halls, but they want to because you develop friends and communities more quickly there,” she said. “We are changing that policy, especially if 19 or younger. We need to respond to and anticipate what students want.”

Arthur has served in various positions throughout the Department of Residence at Iowa State since 1975.

“All my positions have been geared toward students having a positive experience,” Arthur said.

Holcomb said Arthur’s experiences at Iowa State and her involvement with independent external review teams has benefited her.

The Department of Residence reports to many different audiences and there is no way to please everyone all the time, Arthur said.

Arthur will answer questions at a public forum at 2 p.m. Friday in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union. This is the last of four forums held this week for each candidate.