Welch’s welcome

Grant Wall

ISU President Gregory Geoffroy’s decision to continue Veishea in 2006 was greeted with open arms — and open wallets — by Campustown businesses.

Most shop owners and managers said they were pleased with Geoffroy’s decision.

“It’s something that really benefits all businesses in Campustown,” said Lori Vyhnalek, manager of T. Galaxy Retail, 206 Welch Ave.

“We’re definitely happy with [the decision].”

Tim Reger, general manager of Copyworks, 105 Welch Ave., said he welcomes the return of Iowa State’s annual celebration, provided students keep their actions under control.

“I’m glad Veishea is coming back,” Reger said. “I think it’s a good celebration and I think that students are going to realize they need to be responsible when they have Veishea.

“My hope is that we can continue to have Veishea throughout the years, but I also want to make sure the students know they need to be responsible.”

Even with memories of last year’s Campustown violence fresh in their minds, business managers said they are willing to give Veishea another chance.

“We had to stand outside the door and prevent people from coming up [to the store], just because we didn’t know what they were going to do,” said Rich Parizek, manager of The Keg Shop, 218 Welch Ave.

Parizek said he was forced to lock the doors for several hours and had one window in his store broken.

At Copyworks, one window was broken and a hose was placed through the window, spewing water across his store, Reger said.

The store sustained $3,000 to 5,000 in damage. Several of Copyworks’ machines had to be repaired.

“The biggest thing we can do is to keep an awareness … I don’t want the students to forget what happened,” Reger said.

T. Galaxy did not suffer damage, and even though its location is close to last year’s flashpoint, Vyhnalek said she is not worried.

“As far as our business goes, we didn’t have anything happen last time, and we’re not concerned because I’m sure there will be more security precautions taken.”

Even though Veishea has a recent history of destructive behavior, many business owners see the celebration as a high point for their shops’ income.

“It has a pretty big effect on our business,” Vyhnalek said. “It brings families and Ames community members down to Campustown, and that doesn’t happen any other time, really.”

Barry Tewes, manager of Paddy’s, 124 Welch Ave., said Veishea weekend brings more people to his establishment than a normal weekend.

“It’s good for the university and good for the community that it is going to be going again,” Tewes said.

While most businesses are helped by the Veishea weekend, some have seen their revenue drop.

Parizek said the profits of The Keg Shop dropped dramatically when Veishea became dry in 1998.

“Our numbers went down more than 50 percent when they switched to dry,” Parizek said.

“It got to the point where kids would plan an away trip that weekend for the first couple Veisheas that were dry because they knew if they had a party, it would get busted.”