Regents, universities not slowing down after resignations

Tom Barton

IOWA CITY — The Board of Regents showed few signs of slowing down in the wake of two resignations that have threatened to shake up the board’s structure.

The regents met at the University of Iowa the first time Thursday since the dual departures of John Forsyth, former board president, and David Neil last week.

Although the effects of their absence could readily be seen, the regents steamed ahead.

Acting Board President and Iowa City Regent Robert Downer rejected concerns that the resignations will jeopardize the board’s leadership and efforts at capping tuition increases, consolidating business practices and streamlining governance.

He said their commitment to the regents’ transformational plan — of which Forsyth was the principal architect and proponent — has not changed.

“We will be continuing and accelerating these legislative contacts, and are hopeful that our goal will be reached,” Downer said. “Nothing is substantively different in this regard. Some spokespersons may have changed, but the plan, the message and the commitment have not.”

To prove his point and to assure legislators who have raised concerns, Downer asked the regents to offer their unanimous support for his message.

“We are definitely not recommending a change in approach. At Iowa State we are absolutely, fully committed to this transformational plan,” ISU President Gregory Geoffroy said during Thursday’s meeting.

“I have received very strong support from all quarters — from campus groups to alumni to faculty service clubs,” he said. “I encourage full steam ahead. Let’s work to get it done.”

Student government representatives from Iowa State, Iowa and Northern Iowa supported the remaining regents as well and stressed the board’s need to focus on moving forward, so as not to jeopardize student interests.

The board approved a plan in November asking the Legislature to partner with the universities and provide an additional $40 million in state appropriations annually during the next four years. In return, the regents agreed to internally redirect $20 million annually. State Republicans said they are questioning their support for increased funds because of the resignations.

“We ask that politics not become the main thrust of this entire conversation,” said University of Iowa Student Government President Lindsay Schutte. “What’s important is responsible, clear-sighted and forward thinking in the precedence in this.”

Downer also addressed the announcement of Sioux City Regent Sue Nieland’s potential resignation this week. He said Nieland has not indicated to him that she will formally resign.

“She is a board member just as the rest of us, and is until she tenders a resignation,” he said.

Gov. Tom Vilsack told The Associated Press on Wednesday that Nieland plans to resign when she returns from vacation. She is in Arizona and unavailable for comment.

According to the governor’s office, a resignation letter is expected this week. The governor would not comment until official notice is received.

Confusion ensued during the board’s committee meetings on Wednesday over whether the newly appointed regents could vote.

Vilsack appointed Michael Gartner, of Des Moines, and Teresa Wahlert, of Waukee, to replace Neil and Forsyth, respectively.

According to the Board of Regents Policy Manual, a new regent has no voting rights until he or she is confirmed by the Iowa Senate.

A spokesman from Miller’s office said Tuesday, however, that Gartner and Wahlert can vote even if they have not been confirmed to the board, according to The Des Moines Register.