Faculty OKs new plan that focuses on future of education

Tom Barton

Despite previously raised concerns and objections, the Faculty Senate gave approval for plans that will direct the university over the next four years.

At its meeting Tuesday night, the Faculty Senate voted unanimously to support the final draft of the 2005-2010 Strategic Plan.

The plan has gone through two previous drafts, as open forums and discussions with students and faculty have called for numerous revisions. The plan’s first draft was heavily tailored toward developing bioscience initiatives and other of the university’s “unique strengths” in putting science and technology to work in the economy.

Although that focus hasn’t changed, the final draft states, “the university should teach liberal and practical subjects.” It also includes an additional goal — calling for improvement to areas of excellence in the arts, humanities and social sciences that “build on and compliment the university’s unique strengths.”

William Robinson, professor in philosophy and Faculty Senate member, said the final draft is a great improvement on previous versions.

“It was one-sided to science and technology, but the present version recognizes the richness we do here in a much fuller way,” he said.

Complaints of an over-reaching focus for research and under-represented emphasis on goals related to improving educational quality and teaching have also been addressed.

The plan’s first priority for strengthening education has been revised to focus on enhancing student success, strengthening student’s critical thinking and developing, recognizing and awarding excellent teaching.

“I think this document has taken into account the issues of what a rigorous and well-rounded education should be,” said Faculty Senate President Sanjeev Agarwal. “I think this is a very comprehensive document that recognizes pretty much every aspect of the university. It’s dynamic. It talks about assessing, evaluating and improving, which will be key in helping Iowa State accomplish the plan’s goals.”

Some have said the plan is unclear on the role the university should play as a land-grant institution and what its mission should encompass. Faculty Senate members, however, said that the final draft has done well to address previous ambiguity by including a land-grant heritage section and altered wording, spelling out Iowa State’s ideals as a land-grant university.

Ben Allen, provost and vice president for academic affairs, who was also chairman of the Strategic Planning Committee, said the plan will serve as a solid road map for Iowa State.

“Having this strategic plan will really help us focus our resources to improve this quality institution,” he said.

The plan will go to ISU President Gregory Geoffroy for approval and submission to the Board of Regents. The regents will consider the plan’s final approval at their Feb. 3 meeting in Iowa City. If approved, the plan will take effect July 1.