Prescription drug Bextra still in use by ISU students

Renee Oehlerking

Despite speculation about Bextra and its potentially negative side effects, ISU athletes are still receiving prescriptions for, and using, the powerful drug.

Bextra has been closely related to Vioxx, which was taken off the market in September because studies showed it tripled the risk of heart attacks and strokes in some patients.

“[Bextra] works on the same mechanism [as Vioxx], but it has a different chemical,” said Marc Shulman, physician at the Thielen Student Health Center.

Bextra is an anti-inflammatory, not a painkiller, Shulman said.

The drug works toward blocking the protein COX-2, which can relieve pain, inflammation and arthritis.

“The majority of the Bextra we sell goes to the elderly with arthritis,” said Dave Stark, pharmacist at Hy-Vee, 3800 W. Lincoln Way. “Athletes use it as a pain reliever for muscle aches.”

Unable to name which sports had athletes using Bextra, Shulman confirmed that the drug is prescribed for ISU athletes and other students.

Bextra has shown that it could produce some of the same side effects as Vioxx.

“Nothing has been proven to be detrimental effects, but it has been in the news a lot because of its potential to have such side effects as heart attacks,” said Stark.

Shulman said Bextra can have potential long-term effects if used continuously for more than two years. People who have used the drug for that long have a 1 percent higher chance of having a heart attack.

“We don’t let our patients use it for years at a time,” Shulman said. “These drugs have to be used appropriately, and we are staying on top of the research.”

Advantages of Bextra are that it is easier on the stomach than regular painkillers and that just one tablet a day is taken, rather than many.

“I just use normal ibuprofen,” said Jason Brown, forward for the men’s hockey club and freshman in biology.

“I haven’t been hurt in a while, so I don’t know what they would prescribe for me.”

Stark suggests that other painkillers that wouldn’t have the potential side effects of Bextra can be easily taken.

“There are risks with any kind of drugs you take,” said Shulman. “But for some patients Bextra is the best medicine right now.”