Final Veishea recommendations released

Jared Strong

After six months of work, the Veishea task force has released the final draft of its report.

“It was six months of very, very long hours and hard work,” said Catherine Woteki, chairwoman of the 2004 Task Force on Assuring Successful Veishea and Other Student/Community Celebrations. “I’m glad it’s done.”

ISU President Gregory Geoffroy, Government of the Student Body President Sophia Magill and Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco all received copies of the final report.

Geoffroy said it is too early to formulate any opinions on the recommendations.

“I will read the task force report very, very carefully; analyze it; and consult with members of the task force and others,” Geoffroy said.

He said he will meet next week with Magill and Tedesco. A decision on the future of Veishea should be made by next spring.

Tedesco said he could not comment on the recommendations until he reads the report.

Magill also said she had not read the report in its entirety yet, but she said she was optimistic about its recommendations.

“I think we have a good structure to work from,” Magill said. “I see it as the bones to a process that we have in place; now we just have to add the meat.”

The task force first met on May 27 in response to the April 18 riot. In its final 104-page report, the task force outlined four types of recommendations: general recommendations, recommendations if Veishea is changed, recommendations if Veishea is canceled and recommendations to seriously consider in either case.

Three members of the task force did not sign in general agreement with the report. Woteki, dean of the College of Agriculture, said a consensus would have been nice, but wasn’t necessary for the report’s final presentation.

“The whole process that we used to develop this report was one to try to build a consensus and to write into the report people’s views,” Woteki said. “But we didn’t feel like we had to agree on everything.”

The three task force members who didn’t sign were students.

“I think that most of the recommendations are sound,” said Drew Miller, task force member and member of the Daily’s editorial board.

Despite this, Miller said he didn’t believe the task force provided a clear course of action.

“I think that the report is pretty open-ended,” Miller said.

Miller said the task force failed to reach a consensus on two core issues: alcohol restrictions and police action.

“Both of those issues were our charge and were the most significant part of that charge,” Miller said. “Our job was to deal with the issues, not to put them off to other groups.”

Miller said he plans to write Geoffroy to express some of his concerns with the final report.

“I hope he shares the same concerns I do,” Miller said. “I’ve talked to him before, and he seems like a pretty reasonable guy.”

Task force members Dan Sherman and Abby LaCombe also did not sign the report.

Woteki was among the task force members who met with Geoffroy on Tuesday morning to deliver the final report and answer any questions.

Woteki said the future of the task force’s work is now in the president’s hands.

“This report needs some review and reflection before implementation begins,” she said.

Magill said the effects of the task force’s recommendations may not be seen immediately.

“Maybe we’re not going to see dramatic changes next year, but hopefully this will allow us to provide something that’s better five years down the road,” Magill said.

Magill said this change can occur through the efforts of students.

“We want to be on a campus where we can enjoy the social atmosphere, but not allow for riots to occur,” Magill said. “That’s where it has to start.”