Cyclones are in the forecast for Shreveport

Pat Brown

After an exhausting week of finals, most students are ready to go home and spend three weeks with their families. This year, however, some students have changed their plans to see the ISU football team take on Miami of Ohio in the Independence Bowl in Shreveport, La. on Dec. 28.

The bowl selection surprised some, albeit a pleasant surprise.

Todd Lebo, senior in industrial technology, said the Independence Bowl did not seem like the choice for the Cyclones, but he is happy to follow them wherever they play.

“I thought we would get a different one because we’ve already been to this one before,” Lebo said. “I think it’s going to be a close game, but I hope Iowa State pulls it out.”

Approximately 1,000 student tickets, costing $25 or $35, depending on seating, go on sale at 8 a.m. Friday, and Lebo plans on doing whatever it takes to get them.

“I don’t think we’re going to have a problem [getting tickets] because we’re going to camp out at about 4 or 5 in the morning,” Lebo said.

Both Lebo and Adam Knepper, junior in agricultural systems technology, are traveling with a group that has gone to every game this season. Knepper said Miami of Ohio is a formidable opponent, because the Mid-American Conference has turned out several successful teams this season.

The group of fanatics is driving to the game from Des Moines and admits that only a win would be worth the trip.

“Hopefully [we will see an] Iowa State victory,” Knepper said. “It would be a long drive down for a loss.”

The decision to make the trip was an easy one for the group.

“As soon as we were bowl-eligible we pretty much decided as a group that we were all going to go down,” Knepper added.

Knepper and Lebo said their group plans on staying at a hotel while visiting Shreveport, something some students may have a problem financing.

Others have different reasons for traveling to the bowl game: Some simply have no other team to cheer for.

Scott Von Busch, junior in industrial engineering from Lincoln, Neb., is a Huskers fan who also cheers for the Cyclones.

“I’m thrilled to be able to go down to a bowl game,” Von Busch said. “I figured I would go, since Nebraska didn’t make a game.”

Von Busch did not hesitate to add his prediction, as well: “Miami is a quality opponent, but we’re going to kill them.” he said.

Von Busch, along with his friend, Ryan Groenenboom, junior in civil engineering, also plans on making the long drive from Iowa to Louisiana. In an attempt to save some money, they will not be staying in a hotel, but nightly arrangements have not yet been made.

“We don’t know [where we will stay] yet,” Groenenboom said. “We might have to sleep in the car.”

Location is the least of their worries. Whether stretched out on a comfortable hotel bed or confined to the cramped seats of an a car, the response from students is loud and clear this bowl season.

“I’m very happy,” Groenenboom said. “I never thought we would make a bowl game.”