Design costs erase green from students’ pockets

Beth Loberg

Gretchen Thacker knew from an early age that she wanted a career in fashion.

“I loved watching celebrities walking down runways and reading about the latest trends,” said Thacker, sophomore in apparel merchandising, design and production.

In fact, Thacker said, she came to Iowa State specifically for its fashion merchandising program. But for Thacker and many other ISU design students, their degrees won’t come cheap.

Liz Jaster, senior in marketing, said she has already spent more than $1,400 for various classes this semester and will spend close to $2,000 by the time the semester is over.

“I spend around $150 per project, and some classes have three or four projects,” Jaster said.

Erin Nelson, junior in apparel merchandising, design and production, said one class in particular has strained her budget.

“For this class alone, I spent $250 on books. After that, I had to buy sketch paper, tracing paper, marker paper, drawing paper, which are between $10 to $15 per book; fabric swatches, which can vary in price from $2 to $15 per yard; glue; construction paper; and markers and colored pencils, which are around $100 each for a good set,” Nelson said.

Although Nelson has spent well over $500 for the class so far, she admits that she goes “all out.”

“I figure that if I am going to spend $30 on a project, I might as well spend another $15 and make sure that the project is done well,” Nelson said.

Steve Warner, senior in architecture, agrees that certain projects can be expensive, but there are ways to cut corners.

“I am really, really cheap. I think it is important to spend your money wisely. Instead of paying $6 for a 4-by-12 piece of bass wood at the bookstore, I’ll use scraps of wood left behind at the wood shop on campus where I work or go to Lowe’s,” Warner said.

Books and supplies may be the most expensive aspect of school for some design majors. But architecture students must also pay studio and field trip fees.

Brian Reinig, senior in architecture, said a recent trip to Montreal was $545 — without counting the cost of living, subway fares and other social costs.

“We have one studio per semester for the first three years,” he said.

How can college students afford their majors, and do they see benefits for what they pay?

Jester said she puts some supplies on credit and knows many students who do the same.

“If you can’t afford stuff, you are basically just screwed. You don’t have a choice — you have to buy good-quality stuff,” Jester said. “I know kids that bought cheap colored pencils and got lower grades just for that reason.”

Mary Bucsko, customer service representative for the University Book Store, said the store receives its supplies the way most businesses do, through wholesalers.

“Companies are always trying to get us to look at their products, compare shipping, etc.,” she said.

Although students obviously have many school-related expenses, many agree the extra money is well spent in the long run.

“The projects and things we do are imperative to our curriculum. We need them to learn how to be successful in the future,” Warner said.