Despite shortage of vaccines, few flu cases reported

Jared Strong

Despite flu vaccine shortages across the country, widespread infection has yet to occur, marking a change from last year’s early start of the flu season.

“There have been no confirmed cases in Iowa as of Nov. 6,” said Dr. Marc Shulman, chief of staff at the Thielen Student Health Center.

A little more than half the states have reported infection.

“There are cases in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri and Nebraska, so they’re all around us right now,” Schulman said. “They’re just sporadic cases at this time.”

This is a dramatic change from last year, when states began reporting widespread infection as early as the middle of October, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Shulman said he typically sees a lot of cases in December and January.

If a student displays some flu-like symptoms, Schulman said, it’s necessary to check their temperature to rule out the possibility of a cold or allergies.

“You may feel warm but may not be running a temperature,” Schulman said. “There is a difference.”

Schulman said a fever of more than 100 degrees is a defining characteristic of an influenza infection.

The Thielen Student Health Center distributed vaccines to high-risk students during October. People deemed high-risk by the CDC are those who are 65 years old or older, suffer from certain chronic illnesses, are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, or are a health care worker or caregiver.

Although many have been turned down for vaccination, Schulman said practicing good hygiene can keep people healthy.

“Make sure you’re washing your hands regularly, especially if someone is coughing around you,” Schulman said.

Schulman also recommends eating good meals, staying hydrated and getting plenty of sleep to “keep yourself strong.”

After a flu outbreak occurs, doctors may prescribe medication without doing a formal influenza test, but Schulman said precautions are taken so students aren’t taking medicine they don’t need.

“If we start to see a big outbreak, we like to confirm a diagnosis because we prescribe many medications, and there are side effects to them,” Schulman said.

“There is an office check we can get done fairly rapidly while the patient is waiting for the results.”

Students who exhibit flu-like symptoms are encouraged to see a nurse at the health center as soon as possible to avoid spreading the virus to others.