Another task force member refuses to sign report

Jessica Anderson

A third member of the 2004 Task Force on Assuring Successful Veishea and Other Student/Community Celebrations has decided not to sign the group’s final report.

Dan Sherman, a student member of the task force, e-mailed the group late Monday night with concerns about the final report, which outline’s suggestions for continuing or canceling Veishea.

“I feel that the task force, in general, failed to address, with simplicity and direct intent, the nature of its responsibility,” Sherman wrote. “Particular recommendations are made with respect to lightening restrictions on students. Then there are numerous recommendations made which seek to intensify penalties and consequences for students who engage in certain activities. This report seemingly seeks to extend its hand to the students and at the same time raise itself on an authoritative pedestal.”

Sherman wrote he was concerned with how the task force addressed the way students are treated by the community. He wrote that the recommendations are both more lenient and stricter on alcohol regulations and called the report “hypocritical.”

“This task force had the opportunity to help, but thus far I cannot see how it has,” Sherman wrote. “Therefore, I cannot support the final report and I cannot sign off on it.”

Sherman follows Abby LaCombe, task force student member, and Drew Miller, task force student member and member of the Daily editorial board, in refusing to sign the report.

Government of the Student Body President and task force member Sophia Magill said it is difficult to get a 31-person task force to come to a consensus. Magill said she believed very few members of the task force decided not to sign, and those not signing the report are speaking against certain issues, not the entire report.

Magill said she could not comment on Sherman’s reasons because she had not read his e-mail, which was sent out just before 9:30 p.m.

“It is the prerogative of each member to make choices that they feel correspond to their involvement,” Magill said. “If he feels it’s not in his interest to sign off on it, then it’s his prerogative.”

Magill said Sherman’s poor attendance record will probably have an impact on what other task force members think of his e-mail.

“We know that people have different work schedules and priorities,” Magill said. “When you’re on a task force like this, and you feel that you have to make things happen, it’s valuable to have your presence there.”

In his e-mail, Sherman addressed his attendance record.

“For one, after involving myself with this task force during the beginning of its formation I felt it was fairly obvious that ultimately and generally, it was somewhat of a publicity stunt,” Sherman wrote. “So, in considering the initial perception I had of the task force in general and combining that with an apparent adherence to a specific, self-serving agenda that the task force had, I did not place the activities of this task force on the top of my priority list.”

At the Nov. 18 task force meeting, Chairwoman Catherine Woteki, dean of the College of Agriculture, said the final report will show how many task force members signed in agreement.

The final report will be submitted to Magill, ISU President Gregory Geoffroy and Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco on Tuesday.