Sanderson returns to mat as assistant wrestling coach

Grant Wall

The most accomplished wrestler to ever compete at the collegiate level is returning to the program that helped him achieve greatness.

Iowa State announced Tuesday that Cael Sanderson has been added to the university’s wrestling staff as an assistant coach, joining Chris Bono as former Cyclone all-Americans who serve as coaches.

Sanderson went 159-0 as a wrestler for the Cyclones, winning four consecutive NCAA titles.

He was 39-0 as a freshman before going 40-0 in his next three seasons. He won the Outstanding Wrestler Award at the NCAA Championship all four years of his career; he was the first freshman to win the award.

Sanderson also won the Dan Hodge Trophy during his final three seasons, an award given to the nation’s best college wrestler.

This summer, he won a gold medal in the 185-pound weight class at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, Greece.

“I’m excited,” Sanderson said. “It’s a change of pace for me. My whole life, I’ve gotten up to try and figure out how I can be a better wrestler. Now I get up and see how I can build the wrestling program. It’s a different outlook on life that I’m looking forward to.”

ISU Athletic Director Bruce Van De Velde sees not only Sanderson’s experience, but his character, as a reason for his hiring.

“It’s wonderful, and I really appreciate [ISU] President [Gregory] Geoffroy and our university administration for working with the athletic department for encouraging us to keep Cael,” Van De Velde said.

“Not that we needed a lot of encouragement, because we knew the kind of icon and role model he’s been here at Iowa State.

“He’s such a class act and conducts his business with such integrity and is such a role model for our student-athletes and students in general.”

Sanderson graduated in December 2001 with a degree in art and design. He has been working as an administrative assistant to Van De Velde for the past two years.

“He certainly is an icon for his sport, and to have him coaching our student-athletes is something that gives us a great deal of excitement and pleasure,” Van De Velde said.

“We’re very pleased and excited that he will remain here at Iowa State on our coaching staff.”

Sanderson said he is more than happy with his new position.

“I talked to some other programs, but nothing compared to Iowa State because of the loyalty they’ve had for me,” Sanderson said.

“I love it here, really. I’m a Cyclone, and if I can stay here and contribute, that’s exactly what I want to do.”