Group releases outline for college merger

Tom Barton

Eight months of discussion about the merger of the Colleges of Education and Family and Consumer Sciences has culminated in a report outlining how the two colleges should be combined.

Following ongoing concern over how the combination would affect the leadership, focus and identities the two colleges have developed over the decades, a college combination planning committee has formalized what it describes as a plan that includes the smallest reduction of positions needed and generates substantial savings.

The plan calls for the elimination of five staff positions between the two colleges, as well as the reduction of one dean and two associate dean positions.

Under the report — released Monday — one dean and three associate deans would lead the new college.

The plan also suggests the student services functions of the colleges be combined under a team of six full-time professional and scientific staff, resulting in the elimination of 2.5 current positions.

Through the reduction of current positions between the two colleges, the committee estimates the combination would generate nearly $500,000 in annual savings. The plan calls for the savings from these eliminated salaries to be dedicated to supporting academic work of the college, with the highest priority placed on hiring new faculty.

“We plan to use the money saved to make programs better for students. One way we hope to accomplish that is by hiring new faculty with that money to priority areas to help enhance programs for students,” said Pam White, interim dean for FCS. “All money is going back into the college.”

Through this reinvestment, said Roger Smith, associate dean for the College of Education and planning committee member, students would see increased course sections with more faculty available to teach. Smith also said new faculty would bring new and exciting ideas that could lead to new course selections, as well as additional money through grants and research.

Questions have been raised about the benefit the merger will have for students and faculty and staff members. The committee report states that multiple and overlapping partnerships among the college departments will allow the new college to “provide enriched education and build partnerships that enhance the quality of its scholarship.”

“It provides a good outline for moving forward,” said Provost Ben Allen, vice president for academic affairs.

“Overall, it is a plan that is creative and positive. It will be a key player and this plan does well to make that so.”

If approved, the college combination proposal would make the new college the fourth-largest college in the university. Three of the 10 largest undergraduate programs and the largest graduate program at Iowa State will be part of the college.

This, White said, would provide an opportunity for Education and FCS programs to have greater influence over university policy, planning and decision making.

“It’s well-balanced,” she said. “We’ve got the best of both parts from the colleges.”

For example, White cited the combination of the two colleges’ student services.

FCS does not have a full-time position dedicated to career services, but the College of Education does. With the merger, FCS students will finally have someone available to help with placement of students after graduation, she said.

No recommendations have been made to change the current curriculum. The report states that a college curriculum committee will need to study the role of general education requirements and the place for core curriculum in the new college.

All current academic programs for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education students, as well as the current structure of the college’s departments will be retained.

The planning committee will seek input on the report from the colleges through the end of October. The faculty will then vote on the proposal between Oct. 27 and Nov. 1.

The committee will forward the plan along with voting results to the provost’s office in early November. The Faculty Senate will vote in December. If approved by the senate, ISU President Gregory Geoffroy will review the proposal and decide whether to send it to the Iowa Board of Regents for final approval. The combination is expected to take place July 1, 2005.