New group’s plans replace suspended 2005 Veishea

Jared Strong

A campus organization designed to fill the shoes of the suspended Veishea planning committee is looking for students to help with the numerous tasks at hand.

“There’s no studying this week,” said Katie Ross, public relations co-chair for Leaders INspiring Connections. “It’s recruitment week.”

LINC needs students to fill vacant spots in many subcommittees, three of which are new.

One of the new committees is responsible for ensuring the middle school day goes off without a hitch.

The special day is designed to help top middle school students from as far as an hour away “get a feel for what college is like,” said Ashley Glade, LINC general co-chairwoman. Special events co-chairs are trying to get a motivational speaker for the day, which is slated for Nov. 8.

The Campus Community Connections Committee, another new LINC committee, is charged with increasing communication between Campustown businesses, the Chamber of Commerce and the City Council. Committee members will also attempt to find up to three locations in Ames for LINC to build playgrounds with the help of KaBOOM!, a non-profit organization that has raised more than $10 million and helped build about 1,000 playgrounds since its inception in 1995.

Alumni who have served as executives on previous Veishea committees have been invited to get together to share their past experiences at a story-telling time, said Laura Bestler-Wilcox, LINC adviser.

One of the nearly 40 people who have responded to paper and electronic invites from the new Alumni Relations subcommittee served on the Veishea committee in 1948.

Other future LINC events include the student singing competition “Cyclone Idol,” a stand-up comedy competition and Stars over ISU — the ISU Theatre’s production of “The Secret Garden” that was formerly known as Stars over Veishea.

The creation of LINC was a direct result of ISU President Gregory Geoffroy’s decision to suspend the annual spring Veishea celebration in 2005.

LINC is a “chance to get leadership skills that we would have gained had Veishea not been postponed,” Glade said. “We wanted to continue the positives from Veishea.”

Kyle Chesnut, LINC general co-chair, said he was unsure of the future of LINC after Veishea is reinstated.

Committee applications are available online and due Oct. 1 by 5 p.m.