The keys to your game

Keith Ducharme

The start of the school year brings thousands of students into Ames. Although many of the students will have a variety of things on their minds — books, studying and tuition — it always feels good to take some time off, relax and meet some of the other students.

There are also many social gathering places, but for many students, one of the most time-honored traditions of any university has been the house party. This guide is here in hopes of allowing you to learn basic house party etiquette, so you can enjoy yourself without looking like a complete jerk.

1. When to arrive

The key term is “fashionably late.” But what is that? A definite answer is impossible, because it will change with every party.

You don’t want to show up right on time, because you might get stuck helping the host get drinks. However, you don’t want to be late or you might be left with an empty cup. A good prediction is to figure out when people will start showing up, and usually make your entrance an hour or two later.

2. What to bring

Most house parties you visit will have a keg. Hosts collect funds by way of selling plastic cups at seemingly ridiculous prices, so don’t be surprised if you have to shell out a few bucks.

Other house parties follow the “bring your own” doctrine. Don’t be the person who comes empty-handed expecting handouts. If you can’t afford it, you don’t get to drink.

If you do wander into a coveted party where drinks are provided, be a grateful guest. It never hurts to bring along a peace offering of the host’s favorite liquor.

3. What to wear

Keep it simple. No one wants to see some guy in his shirt and tie thinking this is some formal gala. Nor does anyone enjoy the guy who comes in clothes that were supposed to be last week’s laundry.

If you like to dress to impress, just know your environment. You can easily wear nice, fashionable clothes. Just remember to try to not look out of place.

4. Music

Each house has different rules guiding the music selection. Some have no music, allowing the conversation to dominate. Others have music blaring from stereos or live music.

Ask around and see what the mood is. If people want to dance, play some dance music. If they want to relax, play something lighter. Just don’t expect everyone to enjoy your favorite CD. Other guests will tell you if they enjoy it or hate it.

Also, as long as no one asked you to bring your guitar, don’t bring it.

Remember that scene in “Animal House” where John Belushi smashed the guy’s guitar at the toga party? It could happen to you.

5. Making conversation

This is much easier than you probably think. Even if you go to a house party where you only know a face or two, it isn’t hard to strike up a conversation. Those two people you know probably know at least two people, and they know two people, and so on.

Start a conversation with someone completely random. Since you’ll both be inebriated, the most banal and boring things can become the funniest moments of your life. If it doesn’t work and you feel embarrassed, you probably won’t have to worry too much since the other person will probably forget about it by morning.

6. Hooking up

Ladies: It is a scientific fact that the more a guy drinks correlates precisely with the growth of his ego. You may get hit on, very badly, by that guy in your chemistry class who really should learn about soap. Know a quick escape route to a bathroom where you can hide out for a short while.

Guys: Drinking does not give you the right to put the moves on every woman in a three-mile radius. For the most part, both sexes are a bit more relaxed, so just be friendly, don’t stare or make sexist remarks and you might get lucky.

7. When to leave

There are many ways you can leave a party — by cab, foot, back of a police car — but, if you have had two or more drinks, do not drive.

One enjoyable way is taking the Moonlight Express (aka the drunk bus). You can either wait by a bus stop or call in a request to have a shuttle pick you up.