IRHA asks for funds to survey residents

Emily Klein

The Inter-Residence Hall Association will vote on two bills Thursday that each request $1,000 from the Special Projects Fund.

One bill, “I’m here for the Dance,” seeks to co-sponsor Cy’s 50th Birthday party with the Government of the Student Body and Homecoming Central.

The other bill requests funding to develop, distribute and analyze a survey to gather information from students in the residence halls about their general attitudes and desires dealing with the residence halls. The final analysis of the survey, if the bill is approved, would be presented to IRHA and used to help the group better understand and serve their constituents.

Candice Weed, freshman in liberal arts and sciences-open option, said she didn’t think the survey would be worth $1,000, but it would be good for IRHA to better understand what students think.

“It could keep them better acquainted with students and keep an open communication line,” Weed said.

Weed, an Elm Hall resident, said she didn’t even know that IRHA existed, so she thought the representatives should make their presence more known to residents. She suggested posting signs in halls or explaining in house meetings who represents each hall to make students aware of who their representatives are.

Joe Hosch, freshman in pre-business and Linden Hall resident, said he thought that the survey could be helpful but that $1,000 is too much money to spend on it. However, he said, he wouldn’t be attending the meeting to voice his opinion.

“If something important that I knew a lot about would be going on, then I’d go,” Hosch said.

IRHA President Drew Larson said the organization is developing working groups, which are mainly composed of volunteers from outside IRHA who were interested in helping in a specific area of the residence halls.