Students put in closed residence halls while waiting for permanent rooms

Emily Klein

Dyshema Robinson already moved into the dorms once, and she doesn’t want to do it again.

But that is what the freshman in preparation for human medicine and more than 200 others like her will have to do in the next few weeks, as the Department of Residence shifts them from temporary housing to permanent quarters in other residence halls.

“I was disappointed that I was being put in temporary housing because after I moved in here, I didn’t want to settle in somewhere again,” Robinson said.

Robinson, who is from Chicago, said she wasn’t familiar with the campus before she came to school here, so she didn’t have a specific preference where she wanted to live in the residence halls. She said she’s not looking forward to moving again when classes are in session.

“It’ll take time out of my studying or me doing my homework,” Robinson said.

Mimi Benjamin, residence life coordinator, said students are placed in temporary housing every year. When spaces in the residence halls become vacant because students break their residence hall contracts or leave the university, other students in temporary housing will be placed into those vacancies.

When students were allowed to start moving into the residence halls on Aug. 17, there were 300 students in temporary housing. The number of people in temporary housing is changing every day, Benjamin said, as students are being placed in permanent positions.

Since Barton and Helser Halls were both officially closed, Benjamin said students in temporary housing are staying in individual rooms in these halls rather than dens, as they did in past years.

“We didn’t have enough students to fill Helser or Barton completely, and we still don’t, but it provides a temporary space for these students,” Benjamin said.

Other students were placed in temporary housing because portions of Buchanan Hall, including the first and second floors, remain under construction, he said. Some Buchanan residents have already been moved out of temporary housing and into the building.

Katie Eagen, a freshman in art and design, said she wasn’t planning on getting too comfortable in her room in Barton Hall. She said she isn’t going to bother setting up her printer or decorating the room because she has been told by Department of Residence officials that she’ll be moving out at the beginning of September with the rest of her Buchanan Hall floormates.

Eagen and her roommate, Stephanie Carlson, freshman in health and human performance, found out about their temporary living situation about five days before they moved in.

Eagen and Carlson are scheduled to be roommates. They said they were happy to be placed in temporary housing together with their Buchanan suitemates across the hall.

Robinson, however, said she’s making her room home for the time being. She said she’s pleased that she has gotten to know her roommate and gets along well with her.

“I’m going to talk to my roommate and ask her if she’d mind [being my roommate again] and then try to find a way to do it,” she said.

Robinson said she doesn’t know who to contact about requesting her current roommate as a permanent one, but she’s going to make an effort.

Benjamin said the department does as much as possible to accommodate roommate requests. Any student can request a roommate change through the Step Inside system, she said.

Students in temporary housing are placed into permanent spots according to the dates they completed their student contract. Benjamin said it works as a first-come, first-serve program.

“If a student is in temporary housing and they’re next on the list to get a permanent spot, we place them there,” Benjamin said.

Students placed in temporary housing, don’t receive any compensation for the time they spend there, Benjamin said.

Students pay the rate for a standard double room without air conditioning while they are in temporary housing.

Students moving to Buchanan Hall this year are an exception, Benjamin said. Buchanan residents will be charged the normal Buchanan rate while in temporary housing, but when they are moved into their permanent living space they will be credited the difference between the Buchanan rate and the rate of the hall they temporarily lived in.