Cyclones shut out Drake

Pat Brown

In acquiring its first win of the season, the ISU women’s soccer team got collegiate firsts from two freshmen each tallying a goal in the Cyclone’s 2-0 win over Drake on Sunday.

Iowa State (1-1) got on the board first at the 6:41 mark of the first half when freshman Beth Passman took a redirected pass from junior Kristina Baumann and slipped it past Drake’s goalkeeper.

“[Baumann] gave me a really good pass, and I was wide open,” Passman said. “The goalie was out of position, and I just placed it in.”

The Cyclones played most of the game with a one-goal lead until sophomore Jennie Bireley threw the ball into play toward freshman Erin Witte. Witte found freshman Brittanie Waddell in front of the net, and Waddell did the rest.

“Bireley is known for her long throw-ins, and she got it to Witte,” Waddell said. “I just happened to be on the end of it — wide open in the middle.”

After falling behind early to the Arizona Wildcats on Friday night, the Cyclones knew the importance of establishing an early lead against Drake.

After their quick goal Sunday, the Cyclones set the pace for the rest of the game, playing well on both sides of the ball.

“It’s always easier to play when you’re up,” Passman said. “After the first goal, we kind of took it easy, and we had to pick it up in the second half, and I think we did a good job of doing that.”

With its one-goal lead, Iowa State continued to attack the ball.

“Even getting ahead with a one-nil lead is not a safe lead,” Head Coach Rebecca Hornbacher said. “Our players played with a lot of confidence.”

The Cyclones were aided by the performances of their two freshman goalies, Jo Haig and Laura Boyer.

Haig started the game and after the second Cyclone goal, freshman Laura Boyer finished it. Each goalie recorded a save.

“Jo came up big on her line,” Hornbacher said. “Laura Boyer played very well when she came in.”

The same Cyclone defense that seemed to struggle against Arizona allowed only six shots, while the ISU offense recorded sixteen shots.

“Our shape in the back was a lot better tonight, especially in the second half,” Hornbacher said. “We did a really good job of being more organized in the back.”

Hornbacher said she was happy about the contributions of the younger players but said the entire team played well and contributed.

“We are really excited to get our first win under our belt,” Hornbacher said.