Current IRHA members win

Emily Oliver

The results of the Inter-Residence Hall Association elections were all they were expected to be. With no competition, residence hall students selected two current IRHA members as their new president and vice president.

Union Drive Association Treasurer Drew Larson, junior in accounting, was elected next year’s IRHA president, with current Director of Finance Carl Carlson, senior in computer engineering, as his vice president.

“I’m excited for next year; it should be really fun,” Larson said.

Carlson said he hopes his term is as successful as this year, but with some further improvements.

IRHA funded many activities and put on many social events this year, Larson said, a trend he hopes to continue in the future.

Larson and Carlson ran for the executive positions uncontested, an outcome Larson said was disappointing because he would have preferred a contested election.

“I love a good argument,” he said.

IRHA gives students an opportunity to voice their opinions and make things happen, he said — an opportunity most residence hall students have not been taking advantage of.

“People don’t take IRHA as seriously as they should,” he said. “They have a voice, and by speaking out and taking action they can make a difference.”

Larson said he would also focus on the interests of residence hall students and the relationship between IRHA and the Department of Residence.

“IRHA is not supposed to be the Department of Residence’s mouthpiece to the students; we’re supposed to be the mouthpiece of the students to the Department of Residence,” he said.

As the newly elected executives, Larson said his and Carlson’s first task will be appointing new executive board positions, including director of special events, director of finance, director of academic affairs, director of information technology and secretary.

Carlson said he and Larson hope to fill those positions before the end of the semester.

Another important issue hangs over their heads, as they must also deal with budget cuts next year during their administration, Carlson said.

With enrollment down this year, IRHA did not have as much funding as projected, Carlson said. As the current director of finance, he will have to figure out a way to balance the budget for next year by next week, he said.

“If we don’t have as many students as projected we won’t be able to spend as much money,” he said.