Union renovation up for discussion

Emily Sickelka

Design plans and the budget for a $17 million renovation of the 75-year-old Memorial Union will be considered Wednesday by the Board of Regents.

Major renovations to the building, which will likely begin at the end of the next academic year, will include safety and accessibility updates, upgraded meeting rooms, a renovation of University Book Store and roof repairs.

Johnny Pickett, associate vice president for business and finance, said the renovation of the book store will be funded by the store’s own resources.

Lynette Seymour, general manager of the University Book Store, said providing more space and adding a new north entrance will be the major change to the store.

“We’re always very concerned with accessibility, and it’s very hard sometimes to get around the store,” she said. “Also, we just think that it’s been over 10 years since the store had a refresh, and so we know that the look and feel of the store needs to be updated. … We’re also hopeful we will be able to bring in some additional offerings for our students since we’re going to have a little more space to bring things in.”

When originally established in 1922, the Memorial Union was a nonprofit corporation separate from Iowa State. During the following years, debt was accumulated by the union and not paid off. In November 2002, the union was transferred to the university in order for debt to be paid off and an extensive renovation of the building to occur.

Also that month, a $30 annual fee was created for students to help fund improvements.

Along with construction costs, the university plans to pay off the $4.3 million debt the union had accumulated.

Currently, no steps have been taken to complete Phases II and III of the project, which tentatively include more renovations to meeting rooms, the study lounge and recreation areas; expanded commons seating and student office areas; and stair renovations.

Pickett said Phases II and III will not begin until financing can be secured.

Robert Holzwarth, architect for facilities planning and management, said renovations in Phase I were determined to be high priority areas for change during meetings including student leaders and building occupants.