Iowa State measles outbreak not likely, health officials say

Eric Rowley

Despite three outbreaks in the state, the risk of a measles outbreak on campus is low, Thielen Student Health Center officials said.

Malhar Gore, a staff physician at the Thielen Student Health Center, said Iowa State requires students to have a measles vaccination, which decreases the chance of an outbreak.

“You can’t contract the measles if you’ve been vaccinated,” he said.

However, Gore said, people from different countries might not be vaccinated because of differing standards among countries on getting vaccinated, making it possible for them to carry and contract the disease.

“There are others amongst us that don’t have the vaccination,” he said.

According to a statement by the Department of Public Health, three cases of the measles have been confirmed in the state of Iowa. The first case was discovered March 13 after a passenger on Northwest Airlines Fight 3786 from Detroit to Cedar Rapids came down with the disease. Another person on the same flight become ill and was diagnosed with measles on March 20 in Iowa City. The third case was found Friday by a person who was in contact with someone on that flight.

Sarah Cooney, program coordinator at the Thielen Student Health Center, said she hasn’t seen an increase in concern about measles on campus.

“[The health center] haven’t seen an increase in phone calls about the measles,” she said.

Cooney said it might be because the university already requires student vaccinations.

She said the health center also sent out e-mails to students on campus who have not received their measles vaccinations as a precaution and reminder.

Dr. Mehmood Nawab, physician in the infectious diseases department of the McFarland Clinic, 1215 Duff Ave., said his office has seen a light increase in calls about the measles.

“Overall, it looks like the general public is aware and are getting information and vaccinations,” he said.

Nawab said if a person doesn’t remember if he or she has been vaccinated, doctors can do a blood test to check.

Gore said the measles spreads very quickly because it’s a respiratory disease. There is a high risk to contract the disease if a person is in direct contact with someone who has measles.

Gore said someone who thinks he or she might have the measles should be isolated in a room and contact a doctor who will arrange a safe way to get help.

Gore, who has been working at Iowa State since 1994, said he cannot recall an outbreak of the measles. However, if an outbreak occurs, Cooney said there is no risk of running out of measles vaccination on campus.

“We have a 24-hour turnaround if we run out,” she said.

According to the Associated Press, health officials will be watching for new cases of the measles though May 8, when the incubation period is over.