Meyer number one at quarterback — for now

Grant Wall

For the ISU football team, it’s deja vu all over again.

Last season, the Cyclones opened play with a freshman behind center, and this year there may be another freshman in the same spot.

Head coach Dan McCarney released his spring depth chart at a press conference Tuesday, giving an early nod at quarterback to Bret Meyer, a redshirt freshman whose only experience last season was on the scout team.

Meyer is backed up on the chart by Austin Flynn and Cris Love, both quarterbacks who saw action last season.

“Bret is listed number one right now just because he’s been just a little more consistent and made a few more plays [than the other two],” McCarney said. “That race is not about to be over. Right now he has a slight edge, but it’s a good battle. He and Love and Flynn are all going after it.”

McCarney, Meyer and Flynn were all quick to caution that this is a preliminary lineup, as the team has only had eight practices.

“It feels good to be there, but the way I look at it we’re all even still,” Meyer said. “We’ve got a long way to go; we’re not even halfway done with practice yet. I’m not going to take anything for granted or ease up on anything.”

Flynn also knows the competition is fierce.

“We have three good guys that could take the job,” Flynn said. “Whoever steps up and plays consistent and runs the team well and gets it done [will be the starting quarterback].”

McCarney also used the press conference to highlight position changes that he and his staff have made.

Although it had been anticipated, the most noticeable move involves senior Tyson Smith, who will line up at linebacker this season. Smith entered Iowa State as a linebacker but was moved to the defensive line.

During the Cyclone’s first game last year, Smith broke his ankle, ending his season but allowing freshman Jason Berryman to step in.

“[Smith] is doing a good job [in his new position],” McCarney said. “It’s new every day; every practice is a new experience for him, but he is doing a good job. That’s a move we think is permanent now — we’ve seen enough that we know he can play linebacker for us.”

McCarney also plans to move junior Nik Moser from linebacker to strong safety.

Not only are players shuffling positions, but half are also in the process of learning a brand-new offense.

McCarney is stressing consistency and mistake-free football.

“We’ve got to be more consistent from an offensive standpoint. We’ve cut down on some mental errors from scrimmage one to scrimmage two, but we have to be more consistent, and that’s every position on offense,” McCarney said.

“It is a new system with three new coaches. I didn’t expect to go out there and be ready [right away] to go out there against Oklahoma State. We have a lot of work to do.”

Part of that work involves replacing Lane Danielsen, Lance Young, Jamaul Montgomery and Jack Whitver at wide receiver. All four were seniors.

Stepping up to fill some of that void is another redshirt freshman, Todd Blythe.

“He’s had an excellent spring so far,” McCarney said. “He’s maybe our best all-around wide receiver. He’s big and strong and physical. He hasn’t played one down, as you know, but he’s coachable and he’s special. He’ll be one of the better receivers I’ve had since I’ve been at Iowa State.”

Though both sides of the ball have a long way to go, McCarney is seeing extra fire coming from his defensive squad.

“They’re having more fun than we’ve had in a long time playing defense,” McCarney said. “If you can do that in the spring when you’re scrimmaging and banging your roommate all practice long, I think we have a chance to do that in the fall. There is a real personality with our defense right now, and I hope it will continue to build.”