Stolen electronic equipment recovered

Jeff Christian

A traffic stop by ISU Police at Hyland Avenue and Lincoln Way led to two arrests and recovery of two stolen computers and a projector Sunday morning.

Gary Trapp, 19, and Coby Trapp, 23, both of Sioux City, were taken into custody after police pulled over a black Nissan containing equipment stolen from the Roberts Hall computer lab Saturday, said ISU Police Capt. Gene Deisinger.

Both men were charged with theft in the second degree, a Class D felony, Deisinger said. Each could get up to five years in prison and a $7,500 fine.

When officers made the stop for a broken taillight, they noticed an open container of vodka and Coby Trapp, the passenger, smelled like burnt marijuana, Deisinger said.

ISU Police called for a drug dog from the Story County Sheriff’s Office as officers opened the truck to find bolt cutters, a ceiling-mounted LCD projector, two Dell computers, monitors and keyboards, Deisinger said.

He said the projector displayed ISU identification tags. No obvious damage was done to the equipment except for the security cables attached.

“I was shocked when I found out,” said John Faughn, hall director for the Birch-Welch-Roberts residence hall.

Faughn displayed a sign at the hall desk asking for assistance in finding the items. Written in black ink below the sign was “Busted,” something Faughn said a student added.

Residence hall staff added Coby Trapp had been a student at Iowa State but has since dropped out.

John Shertzer, residence life coordinator, was advised of the incident today by police and said the computer labs are protected with security cameras monitored occasionally by staff.

“We haven’t had much [theft], if any, that I can recall,” Shertzer said.

Deisinger said coated steel cables and electronic cables are attached to the computer equipment for security reasons.

He said an overhead projector is stolen from campus property each semester.

“There was more damage done here than what we often see,” Deisinger said.