Demonstrators protest war one year after its beginning

Jason Noble

A line of demonstrators stretching down Lincoln Way from Welch Avenue to the Friley Hall arch murmured and shuffled in the waning sunlight of a chilly Sunday night. They protested the war and occupation of Iraq and provided their solution to the conflict in handmade signs.

Carrying signs and candles and wearing stickers with the names of American soldiers killed in Iraq, about 150 Ames residents and ISU students gathered to memorialize the one-year anniversary of the war’s start — March 19, 2003. The demonstration was largely silent, with protesters’ quiet and optimistic conversations interrupted only by frequent honks and cheers of support from passers-by.

The student organization Time for Peace organized the rally.

“We’re here to show that we’re still opposed to what’s going on,” said Brant Kassel, freshman in liberal arts and sciences-open option and Time for Peace member. “We’re here to support our troops and bring them home.”

Time for Peace activists made dozens of signs with messages such as “Honk for Peace,” “Bring in the UN,” and “What would MLK do?” and distributed them to the demonstrators. Many brought their own displays, including one couple with a rainbow-colored peace flag. Some simply held up the “peace” sign.

Time for Peace also handed out numbered stickers bearing the name, hometown and date of death of each U.S. soldier killed in Iraq. The number of those killed totaled 581 as of Sunday morning, said Ramsey Tesdell, sophomore in technical communication and Time for Peace member.

“The stickers make everyone here represent one life lost. Everyone becomes a symbol of one person, which makes it a little more real,” Tesdell said. “One problem with war is that [to most people] it’s not real; it’s too far off.”

The attendees, who ranged from children to the elderly and were predominantly not students, came for different reasons.

“Basically, I’m here because I oppose violence as a means to peace,” said Danaca Booth, sophomore in English.

Many demonstrated for the withdrawal of U.S. forces from Iraq and the installation of international peacekeepers.

“We should try to have the U.N. or some other multinational force take over control instead of the U.S.,” said Bill Stansbery, 906 Clark Ave. “The ultimate goal should be to give power back to the Iraqis.”

One overarching theme, however was solidarity among antiwar activists.

“We’re here just to let people know there are many of us who are opposed to this war and occupation,” Stansbery said.

Booth agreed.

“I think we’re showing solidarity with this demonstration,” she said. “You see the people driving by, honking and waving; we are not alone.”