Freshmen contribute to postseason success

Amanda Ouverson

All season, the ISU freshman duo of Lyndsey Medders and Megan Ronhovde has stepped up big for the Cyclones. The two freshmen started all of the Cyclones’ Women’s National Invitation Tournament games and have played major roles in ISU victories.

“I think all year they obviously didn’t play like freshmen,” ISU head coach Bill Fennelly said after a season-ending 65-59 loss to UNLV on Sunday.

“They took big shots, we asked them to do a lot and we put a lot on their shoulders as young players and they understand that.”

Going into the UNLV matchup, Medders was coming off a big game against St. Joseph’s Thursday night. Medders put up a team-high 19 points and added four rebounds and four assists against the Hawks. Ronhovde chipped in five points, nine rebounds and two blocks aiding Iowa State in the 66-58 win, which sent them into the WNIT final four.

Against UNLV, Ronhovde started off the ISU scoring with a quick 3-pointer and a two-point basket to put the Cyclones up 5-2 early in the game.

After relinquishing an early 6-point lead, a pair of baskets from Medders brought Iowa State back to a 12-12 score midway through the first half. The two freshmen had nine of Iowa State’s first 12 points. A Medders layup with 39 seconds left in the first half brought Iowa State within one point going into halftime, 28-27.

Medders hit a pair of 3-pointers to open the second half, giving Iowa State a five-point edge. Medders finished the game with 12 points, six assists and two rebounds. Ronhovde added 10 points and two rebounds before fouling out with 49.9 seconds left.

Medders had a team-high four turnovers and said ball control will be one of the things she focuses on during the offseason.

“The No. 1 thing right now for me to work on is to get in the weight room and get stronger,” Medders said.

“Then I’ll be able to finish stronger and do a better job on the glass rebounding. The No. 1 thing for me on the court is to take better care of the ball.”

Fennelly said he’s been very pleased with the duo’s contributions all year long.

“I thought they played very hard and I think they’ve learned a lot, like what it takes to be a good player at this level,” Fennelly said. “We wouldn’t be playing tonight without those two’s [play] all year.”

Iowa State loses only Erica Junod from this year’s squad. Fennelly is looking forward to what the future may bring.

“I’m very proud of them,” Fennelly said.

“I’m excited to know they’ll be here three more years. These two are the kind of young people our fans want to wear an ISU uniform.”