ISU Police called to family housing for most assaults

Stefanie Peterson

Domestic violence among residents in University Family Housing accounted for more than half of all domestic violence calls received by the Department of Public Safety in 2003, according to department records.

Of the 19 domestic incidents ISU Police investigated last year, 13 originated from UFH residents. Domestic incidents from UFH have accounted for at least 45 percent of the department’s total domestic investigation the past four years.

Deisinger said all other domestic offenses the department investigates come from residence halls and other building on campus.

Others were dorms or other building on campus.

Ames police officials said they do not have year-end records of domestic offenses that pertain to just students apartments or ISU students.

The ISU Police complaints come from residents living together as domestic or married couples in UFH, which includes Schilletter Village and University Village.

The number of incidents in family housing stayed constant from 2002 to 2003. Capt. Gene Deisinger of the ISU Police said the amount of domestic violence reported in UFH has declined since a high of 23 in 2000.

Still, he questioned whether the frequency of domestic violence has declined among UFH residents, or whether there are just fewer couples living together in those complexes. “Schilletter used to be almost exclusively families; now there are groups living there that would not be included under domestic violence,” he said.

John Shertzer, residence life coordinator for the Department of Residence, said no statistics are kept on exactly how many UFH residents are living there with a group of roommates or with an intimate partner.

Christine Fowler, manager of community services for University Family Housing, said she doubts the frequency of domestic violence incidents in university apartments varies much from the number of incidents in off-campus apartments.

“Negative behavior is often more noticeable in on-campus communities simply because of the staffing that is present,” she said.

When a domestic violence case originating in UFH is filed with ISU Police, the police pass the information on to Fowler. She or a UFH Resident Manager follows up with the residents, suggesting local resources they might need. Pointing couples toward help is an important part of Fowler’s role at UFH.

“We take the well-being of our residents seriously, but we cannot prevent against every problem or incident. In all situations, we will help residents find the help they need, and try to be as helpful as possible in difficult times,” Fowler said. “This care and concern is what often separates University Family Housing from off-campus options.”

University and community resources range from the Sloss Women’s Center and Student Counseling Services to the Story County Sexual Assault Response Team and the Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support. Deisinger said ISU Police has also been involved in educating UFH residents about domestic violence and a wide variety of U.S. laws in the past.

“One concern we had about domestic violence issues was the relatively high proportion of international couples that live [in UFH] and, do they understand U.S. law or Iowa law, in this case,” Deisinger said. “We initiated a project with funding specifically targeted toward domestic violence and sexual violence in general and developed educational materials in about a dozen languages.”

Deisinger said he was not implying there were more problems with international couples.

“The perception from some offices both on campus and from the county attorney’s office is that at certain points in time, international student issues might be more significant,” he said.

Joyce Davidson, associate director of Student Counseling Services, said students who come into counseling services with a domestic violence-related problem will be dealt with there.

“In terms of what people may need for their own growth, own repair of self-esteem or sense of worth, value and strength, those are things that very often need to be addressed over time in a counseling setting, so that’s what we’re here for,” Davidson said.

Typically, couples that live together successfully are those who don’t let sharing a roof mean sharing all parts of their lives, Davidson said.

“The more you give up your own ability to have your own perspective and make your own decisions about what’s good for you, the more likely that something could go wrong,” she said.

The university will continue to help couples improve their personal relationships, Davidson said. “There is a role for the university in helping people develop their own potential and learning to be in relationships, whether they be intimate or community relationships.”