Trading senioritis for shoulder pads

Grant Wall

Usually at this time of the year, high school seniors are fighting to stay awake through English class and thinking about who to ask to the prom.

Those thoughts aren’t even being considered by one of Iowa State’s top football recruits, however, as Jason Scales has made the jump from high school to college a semester ahead of many of his peers.

Scales, a running back who helped lead West Des Moines Valley to back-to-back state championships his junior and senior seasons, said he joined the Cyclones early to get a head start on his education.

“[By graduating early], I get a head start on school and an opportunity to get familiar with classes and the college atmosphere,” Scales said. “I can get ahead in school work and get ahead in the [football] system and interact with the players and get ready for spring ball.”

ISU head football coach Dan McCarney agrees that the transition give a student-athlete a leg up — both in the classroom and on the football field.

“You get a head start on your degree and have a chance to learn the system and get to know your teammates,” McCarney said. “You also put yourself in a better position to contribute next fall.”

Scales’ quickness on the football field allowed him to rush for 6,050 yards and 78 touchdowns during high school, separating himself from a state full of young men looking to further their playing careers.

His off-the-field accomplishments were just as impressive to McCarney as the Cyclones went through the recruiting process.

Scales was a three-year academic letterwinner with Valley, as well as a member of both the National Honor Society and the academic honor roll.

McCarney said leaving high school early is not for everyone, but Scales is a special case because he can handle the changes and pressures of college life.

“So far so good,” McCarney said of his new running back’s transition.

“We’re just in winter workouts now, but he’s obviously in full swing with academics and has done an excellent job. Reports so far are good.

“He has a maturity level well beyond his 18 years.”

For his part, Scales is enjoying Ames and the life of a college student.

“I like it [here]. People are nice and help you out,” Scales said.

The decision to enter Iowa State early was one Scales made with the advice of both his family and the Cyclone coaching staff.

Scales’ father had taken a new job in Pittsburgh, and an early graduation would allow his mother to move to Pittsburgh several months early.

“We talked to the coaches [to see if he could enter college early], and once we got the OK, as a family we decided [enrolling early] would be a good decision to make,” Scales said.

With the decision made, Scales has turned his attention to the future and his dreams.

The pre-architecture major is ready to contribute in any way he can to help make the ISU football program a success.

The modest Scales said he is ready to strap on his hard hat and go to work.

“[I’m going to] give my full effort and help the team. The only thing I can bring is my full effort and work my hardest,” Scales said. “The only thing I can bring right now is effort.”