English, math may get space in Carver

Emily Sickelka

The English and mathematics departments would gain needed room if a $2 million renovation of Carver Hall is approved by the Board of Regents this week.

Space opened up in Carver Hall after the College of Business moved to the Gerdin Business Building this semester. The renovation plan will give more space to the mathematics department, currently located on the third floor of Carver Hall, and will centralize the English department into two buildings, Carver Hall and Ross Hall.

“[The math and English departments have] lecturers and professors sprinkled throughout campus in nooks and crannies,” said Doug Epperson, interim associate dean for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

He said the two departments had some of the worst ratios in the college of space needed to actual space available.

Justin Peters, professor and chair of the mathematics department, said Carver Hall was originally built to house the mathematics department, but when the Business College began occupying the building, space got tight.

“We very badly need some additional space, so this is a very welcome development for us,” Peters said.

The change would give the mathematics department a computer lab, graduate student office space and room for lecturers who are doubled and tripled up in offices, Peters said.

The English department would keep its main office in Ross Hall and use the space primarily for faculty offices and a writing center, Epperson said.

He said the actual renovation of the building would be updating and refining, instead of major architectural changes in the building. Improvements include replacing worn carpet and painting. He said there would be a few spots that would receive more substantial changes.

The renovation would also provide office, work and storage space for the psychology department’s research program in aggression and violence in society, the Office of Precollegiate Programs for Talented and Gifted, the Program for Women in Science and Engineering, Ethnic Studies, the Institute for Science and Society, the Center for Excellence in the Arts and Humanities and general university classroom space.

The regents will also be presented Wednesday with a request for a revised project budget for construction on the intersection of Union Drive and Knoll Road. The university is asking for the plan, originally budgeted at $1.7 million, to be increased by $201,000 to make up for a higher cost of construction testing services and utility relocations, according to regent documents.

The construction would shift the intersection south and west to correct problems in the grade of the road and provide an improved campus entrance drive, according to Board of Regents documents.

The regents will discuss the requests during a teleconference Wednesday.