Iowa State soars over L.A. Stars in first exhibition game

Nate Frandsen

Hilton Coliseum had a feeling of newness Monday night as the new-look Cyclones disposed of the L.A. Stars 81-61 in their first of two exhibition games this fall. A new coach, new uniforms, a new student section called Cyclone Alley — and three new freshmen playing big minutes.

“There were a lot of new things out there tonight,” center Jared Homan said.

Homan’s presence in the middle was not new as the junior scored 21 points on 9-of-15 shooting and pulled down 15 rebounds.

The Cyclones came out a little slow to start, but built a 10-point lead by the half.

Reggie George got the Cyclones on the board after they missed their first five shots.

“I thought we played hard, played together and for the most part played unselfish,” said ISU head coach Wayne Morgan, who made his debut as the Cyclones’ head man.

The freshman trio of George, Will Blalock and Curtis Stinson combined for 27 points, 12 assists and 17 rebounds.

“I was really impressed with the freshmen,” said senior guard Jake Sullivan.

“My hat is off to them. They are probably the biggest reason we won tonight.”

Homan said he also liked what he saw out of the freshmen.

“They played tremendously,” he said. “They didn’t play like freshmen, and they didn’t make freshman mistakes.”

Stinson started ahead of Blalock at the point guard spot, but Morgan said he considers them both starters.

“I was nervous at first,” Blalock said, “but as the game went on I felt more comfortable.”

George and Jefferson followed Homan with 15 points apiece and Sullivan added 11 on an off shooting night.

Junior college transfer Damion Staple, who was projected to be in the starting lineup, sat out and is day-to-day after sustaining a bruised knee. Staple was joined at the end of the bench by seniors Tim Barnes and Jackson Vroman. Barnes is academically ineligible, and Vroman is suspended because of his legal difficulties.

“[Staple] hasn’t practiced for two or three days, and doctors are very optimistic,” Morgan said. “Getting him back by Nov. 28 [the Cyclones’ first regular-season contest] is all we are really concerned with.”

The L.A. Stars, whose roster shows 13 players, only had eight players make the road trip. The Stars roster is mainly made up of California ex-Division I players. The Stars are now 0-3 after losses to Utah by 10 points and San Diego by three points.

With the win, the Cyclones move to 32-2 all-time in exhibition games.

The Cyclones’ final exhibition game in Nov. 17 against Global Sports at 7 p.m. at Hilton Coliseum.