Discussion strives to answer common questions

Natalie Spray

People often see only a small part of Muslim life in the media, and Muslim students hope a discussion Monday will eliminate those misconceptions.

A panel of students and professors will answer questions about Muslims, those who follow Islam, from 6 to 9 p.m. Monday in 207 Marston Hall as part of Islam Awareness Week.

The panel will present viewpoints of people who know Islam from a closer perspective instead of from a “media expert,” said Adeel Ahmed, media secretary for the Muslim Student Association.

“We [as students] are not special — we just follow the faith as best we can and will be able to explain our religion as peers,” said Ahmed, senior in computer engineering, of the student panelists.

Saddam Khattak, president of the Muslim Student Association, said people need to learn from the right sources and not believe what is said by the media.

One of the common misconceptions about Muslims the organization hopes to clear is the perception that the religion promotes terrorism, said Khattak, senior in computer engineering. Islam denounces all terrorism, he said.

“[The Quran says], ‘To kill one innocent life is like killing all of humanity,'” Khattak said. “Just because a group of people [acts like terrorists] doesn’t mean the act is justifiable to the faith or right.”

Ahmed said people need to ask why those individuals were motivated when trying to understand terrorism actions that relate to Islam and what the Quran teaches.

The terrorists are not acting in accordance with their religion, Ahmed said.

The second most common misconception is Muslim women are suppressed, Khattak said.

“The Quran states clearly that womens’ rights are the same as mens’, which isn’t stated in the U.S. Constitution.” he said.

Two ISU professors — Hsain Ilahiane, assistant professor of anthropology, and Stephen Aigner, associate professor of sociology — will join students in leading dialogue between Muslims and the broader ISU community.