Regents approve proposed tuition increase

William Dillon

The Iowa Board of Regents unanimously approved an average 8.3 percent tuition increase for the regent universities Wednesday.

The increase means tuition and fees at Iowa State will raise $398 for resident undergraduates, $758 for nonresident undergraduates, $486 for resident graduate students and $936 for nonresident graduate students.

“With the latest budget reversion, which was very substantial, we are going to need all of the tuition revenues that we can obtain to preserve the quality of our educational programs,” said ISU President Gregory Geoffroy, in reference to the 2.5 percent across-the-board cut by Gov. Tom Vilsack Oct. 10 that forced Iowa State to cut $5.8 million from its budget. “Everything considered, we believe this is a reasonable increase.”

Student Government Relations Director Angela Groh called the increase a “great accomplishment” for students.

Looking back at trends beginning in the early 1980s, the amount which tuition has increased began very high, dropped down and rose again during the last couple of years, Groh said.

“Looking at that, I would say no matter what happens, 8 percent is fairly average,” Groh said. “It’s a good way to start.”

Tuition increases near 20 percent were approved for each of the past two years in response to reductions in state financial support. Since the 2000-01 school year, state appropriations to Iowa State have dropped by $63.7 million, currently leaving the university to make up 50.5 percent of their budget through tuition, fees and additional revenue.

During a past presentation before the Board of Regents, Geoffroy supported the proposed increase, but said without the funding of salaries by the state, an 8.3 percent tuition increase would make it very difficult for Iowa State to fund salary increases.

“That’s really what it all depends upon,” he said. “[The state] will have to be the source of salary increases for employees.”

In an effort to increase state support for higher education in Iowa, both student government members and ISU alumni will join in lobbying the Iowa Legislature, Geoffroy said.

“I know that they are getting energized and ready to do anything they can to help the university,” he said.

Significant overlap in the priorities of the student government bodies, university personnel and the regents will result in fairly unified lobbying, said Gregory Nichols, executive director of the Board of Regents.

“The message will be very consistent,” Nichols said. “The activities might be separate, but the message will be very similar.”

Even if the state does not adequately fund the university for the 2004—2005 school year, Groh said she believes the result will not be another near-20 percent increase, but said the 8.3 percent approval may have some effect on next year’s tuition decision.