Indian ‘festival of lights’ tradition inspires students’ reminiscing

Eric Rowley

For one ISU student, the Indian Students’ Association-sponsored Diwali night provides an opportunity to bring his country’s festival of lights to Iowa State.

“I’m not in [India] right now,” said Shilpa Worlikar, graduate student in chemistry. “It means a lot to me to have this celebration.”

Diwali, a festival of lights celebrating the history of India, will be observed beginning at 6 p.m. Sunday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Harisudhakar Vepadharmalingam, graduate student in industrial engineering, said the reason for the candles and lanterns is to welcome Laksmi, the Hindu goddess of wealth.

Worlikar recalled how the lights of the festival illuminated her home and the streets in Bombay, India.

“The city would glow,” Worlikar said. “It was very beautiful to see.”

Worlikar remembered celebrating Diwali with friends and family at home in Bombay — exchanging food, lighting lanterns and setting off firecrackers in the street.

“The crackers would go for two to three hours,” she said.

Worlikar recalled lighting everything from small, oil-filled candles to a lantern with 21 wicks.

“In front of every house there were candles,” she said. “There were rows and rows of lights.”

Worlikar’s first memory of Diwali was when she was 6 years old.

“The first time, I was afraid of the crackers,” she said.

Worlikar said she now can’t get enough of them.

Vepadharmalingam also remembered good times in India with his family during Diwali.

“We would all get together and dance,” Vepadharmalingam said. “I remember going to my grandparents’ village and we would buy firecrackers. We would fire them off all night.”

Vepadharmalingam, a planner for Diwali Night, said the Indian Students’ Association plans to host 250 to 300 people Sunday. There will be songs, dances, food and skits showing the Indian culture, he said.