A lesson in acceptance

Elizabeth Roberts

Two student organizations converged on campus south of the library and held rallies for awareness together completely by accident Monday afternoon.

Approximately 60 people wearing T-shirts emblazoned with the words “It’s Okay With Me” in blue lettering were already gathered south of the library by noon on Monday to kick off the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Ally Alliance National Coming Out Days. At the same time, about 100 people gathered on the steps of the library to celebrate the beginning of Black Love Week.

As it turned out, the two rallies became one.

Neither organization was aware the other would be holding a rally at the same time at the same location, but everyone was positive about the unplanned convergence.

“It was a fortunate coincidence,” said Sarai Arnold, president of the Black Student Alliance and junior in biology. “We are glad to support the LGBTAA.”

LGBTAA President Julia McGinley agreed with Arnold.

“One of our goals this year was to build bridges with other student organizations,” said McGinley, junior in hotel, restaurant and institution management. “Neither of [the rallies] could have happened without the other stopping to give support.” Mutual support for other student groups is also a goal of the BSA.

“We’re striving to establish healthy relationships within the Iowa State/Ames community,” Arnold said. “We find that in our efforts the LGBTAA is one of our strongest supporters. We hope to continue to have a positive relationship with them.”

The BSA began by leading everyone in singing the black national anthem, “Lift Every Voice and Sing.”

Following the song, McGinley began the rally for National Coming Out Days. She talked briefly about the T-shirt campaign for allies to show their support of the LGBT community.

“We had given out all 244 originally ordered T-shirts,” McGinley said. “Personally, I think it’s great to see this many people supporting me as an LGBT person.”

McGinley then introduced the first of five ally speakers for the rally. Jen Meadows, junior in political science, spoke about her experiences being an ally for LGBT people.

“People are OK with their choices and that’s what really excites me,” Meadows said.

After Meadows, Dean of Students Pete Englin spoke about a co-worker at Iowa State coming out to him. Englin also spoke of his efforts to make Iowa State a more accepting place for members of the LGBT community.

“It’s more than OK with me,” he said. “It’s great with me.”

Next, Jen Grzegorek, staff psychologist at Student Counseling Services, spoke about her experiences as an ally activist.

“I’ve been an ally — at least philosophically — for most of my life,” Grzegorek said.

“I really enjoy the opportunity to open people’s minds and occasionally piss people off.”

At the end of her speech, Grzegorek broke some news to rally participants.

“As it turns out I am actually coming out today,” she said. “I am coming out as a bisexual and thought today would be a good day to do it.”

The rally was paused while the Marching Cyclones Drill Team performed. The drum and dance performance was followed by five men from Alpha Phi Alpha performing a step show to cheers and applause by both groups.

The final speaker at the LGBTAA rally was Carolyn Cutrona, president of the Ames Chapter of Parents and Friends of Gays and Lesbians and psychology professor. She spoke about what she has gained by being an ally and told the crowd she has always been a “nerd.”

“Being an ally has brought me into contact with some of the coolest people who would never even give me the time of day otherwise,” she said.