Minority students familiarized with campus, each other through program

Natalie Spray

An evolving campus program that aims to help minority students connect with the university and with each other will be held Wednesday night.

Over 300 minority students who are new to campus will be welcomed at the seventh annual Welcome and Transition Program, beginning at 5 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

The program has evolved during its time at Iowa State, said Bea Awoniyi, co-chairwoman for the event and program coordinator for the dean of students office.

Awoniyi said in the event’s first few years, it served only as a formal welcome to students, but now it provides students an opportunity to connect to people and resources on campus.

The Welcome and Transition Program began in 1997 as a collaboration between the Minority Student Affairs and admissions offices. Leaders in the departments realized the needs of minority students differed from the majority of ISU students, especially those coming to Ames from out of state, Awoniyi said.

Yanira Pacheco-Ortiz, minority liaison officer and program coordinator for the College of Family and Consumer Sciences, said the event provides many opportunities for incoming students.

“Students actually get connected with students, faculty and staff,” she said.

Students can learn about clubs and organizations, have fun, and network with each other at the same time, Pacheco-Ortiz said.

“Becoming a whole student is what its all about,” she said.

Awoniyi said upperclassman involvement has been an important addition to the program over the years. Two students, Carissa Overstreet, freshman in industrial engineering, and David Romero, junior in biology, will offer “words of wisdom” to the rookie students at the program.

Pacheco-Ortiz said it is interesting to hear mentors talk to the new students.

“[The upperclassmen] see in a different perspective,” she said. “They sometimes say they can see themselves reflected in the freshman students.”

Freshman are looking for role models and someone to help them when they arrive on campus, Pacheco-Ortiz said.

“There’s nothing better than having one of their peers as a mentor,” she said.

Robert Lipsey, resident life coordinator for the Department of Residence, will serve as master of ceremonies. Thomas Hill, vice president for student affairs, will give the welcome address. Jeff Johnson, director of alumni services, will facilitate the icebreaker.

Student organizations and campus resource representatives will also be on hand to help welcome new students. Twenty-four groups were registered to participate as of Thursday, including the Black Student Alliance, Greek Affairs, the Multicultural Student Center and Thielen Student Health Center.

The event will continue Saturday afternoon with tailgating before the Iowa State-Ohio football game. The Welcome and Transition Program has received 200 tickets from the Athletic Department.

“It’s all part of developing a culture within the university,” Awoniyi said.