International students welcomed with new ambassador program

Eric Rowley

Finding classes can be the least of students’ worries when they travel around the globe to attend Iowa State. A new ISU program is designed to make the transition for international students a little easier.

Nine Iowa State students, who are from 10 different countries and speak 15 different languages, are participating in a new student ambassador program designed to welcome incoming international students.

Wanting to get students more involved in the international enrollment process, Ann Gogerty, senior international admission counselor, created an ambassador program last spring semester through her creative component class as a requirement for her graduate program.

Gogerty said in the past, the first time an international student was able to see the Iowa State campus was online.

Now, international students have a contact person at Iowa State who can answer questions and address concerns before they arrive at Iowa State and after.

“A student ambassador is very important to the recruitment process,” Gogerty said. “It’s very imperative to have their side of view.”

The student ambassadors will take e-mails and phone calls from incoming students, Gogerty said.

“One hundred to 150 students from overseas have contacted our student ambassadors,” Gogerty said.

Swathi Ravichandran, graduate student in food service and lodging management and a student ambassador, came from Chennai, India, one of the largest cities in that country.

Ravichandran said while she came with her mother and sister to the United States, she could have used a student ambassador. When Ravichandran was looking into attending Iowa State, she e-mailed many Indian student organizations.

“[Being a student ambassador] I’m responsible for replying to all the e-mail, unlike some of the students organizations,” Ravichandran said.

She said she found Chennai and Ames had two completely different cultures.

“I would like to have [had] a student ambassador when I came,” she said. “My sister taught me everything I needed to know.”

Living in Ames for three years, Ravichandran became involved with the student ambassador program while working in the international student office on campus.

Although Ravichandran speaks three Indian languages, most of the e-mails she receives are written in English.

“I’ve had about 60 e-mails since I’ve started as a student ambassador,” she said. “I definitely think [the program] is working.”

Fahim Godil, junior in computer engineering and a student ambassador, came to Ames three years ago from Gujarat, India.

“I really had a hard time when I came here,” Godil said.

Godil said he didn’t know what clothes to purchase or where to buy groceries before he came to Iowa State.

“The [student ambassador program] is very good,” Godil said. “The students feel safe when you come to the right place.

“It’s a big decision to come to school 4,000 miles away and then find out the school is not a right fit.”

Godil has lived both on and off campus and helps students with housing issues as well. Godil, who speaks five languages, has answered 15 e-mails in the past two months from high school and college students considering Iowa State.

“It feels really good that someone is here because of me,” he said.