COLUMN: Morgan upgrades non-conference slate and whole lot more

Lucas Grundmeier

If Wayne Morgan keeps exceeding expectations throughout the men’s basketball season, the same way he has since becoming the Cyclone’s coach this summer — well, watch out for Iowa State.

Morgan said earlier he was excited about upgrading Iowa State’s non-conference schedule — last season, although some of the circumstances were out of the coaching staff’s control, the Cyclones had only a couple pre-conference meetings with strong teams, winning at Iowa and losing to Boston College.

This year, the semester break will see three games against NCAA Tournament-contending teams.

After hosting Xavier (26-6 last season, including 15-1 in the Atlantic 10 Conference), the Cyclones will hit both coasts for games at Virginia and San Diego State. That’s in addition to the team’s usual games against Northern Iowa, Drake and Iowa (in late January this season).

When he was introduced to ISU fans for the first time in May, Morgan had promised to upgrade the non-conference slate.

“I think that we need to try to play three, maybe four, national games if possible,” he said.

Mission accomplished.

I was skeptical Morgan would be able to get very many games against nationally ranked opponents, just because scheduling has been a struggle for ISU men’s basketball coaches for years.

Morgan explained part of the problem June 18.

“There are major schools who make up to $750,000 per home game, and we don’t pay those kind of guarantees,” he said. “So it is difficult sometimes to get someone to come to your arena and play.”

It’s been frustrating for fans, and probably even more so for a coaching staff. Money is probably the biggest obstacle to scheduling top national teams.

Opposing coaches, conscious of “Hilton Magic” and keeping a careful eye on national perceptions that could decide whether a bubble team goes to postseason play in the NCAA Tournament or NIT, see little advantage in coming to Ames and possibly losing.

So to get a chance to “warm up” for conference play (and the Big 12 slate is as rocky as ever) with the Musketeers, Cavaliers and Aztecs is wonderful news for the Cyclones.

Here’s some other items we’ve already seen Morgan follow through on:

1. Bring in a slew of talented assistants.

In his introductory press conference, Morgan told reporters, “I’m going to take my time, go through [a list of candidates], and try to make sure that we pick the very best people who can help us in our particular situation.”

Fred Quartlebaum, Damon Archibald, Bob Sundvold and the Cyclones’ all-time leading scorer, Jeff Grayer, all fit the billing of “very best people.” With Morgan, they have recruiting connections from coast to coast and have already brought in a 6-foot-6 swingman from Maine, Rashon Clark.

2. Hold on to the recruiting class for this season.

Reggie George, Will Blalock, Curtis Stinson and Damion Staple are all in Ames. The only recruiting casualty was Washington swingman Justin Holt, the victim of a bizarre NCAA rule concerning transfers between community colleges and four-year institutions.

3. Generate excitement about basketball and on-the-court happenings.

Morgan made his first circuit of National Cyclone Club outings this summer before he hit the recruiting trail, and he said fans are moving past Iowa State’s arduous spring off the court.

“I think we have moved forward tremendously,” he said in early August. “I got a great deal of energy and enthusiasm [from Cyclone fans]. I really enjoyed getting out and having a chance to be with our fans.”

Of course, not all is perfect for the men’s basketball program. Big 12 all-freshman team guard Adam Haluska’s transfer is still a perplexing loss for the Cyclones, especially after Haluska committed to the ISU program in his sophomore year of high school. We’re still waiting for Morgan to publicly define specific punishments for players who fell out of line during the summer and find out if any returning players are ineligible.

But a fantastic schedule for the 2003-04 Cyclones is another indication of Morgan’s intention to do as he’s said.

With that in mind, here’s three things to look for in the future:

1. More active play on offense and defense.

“I think you’ll see a team that will get up and down the floor,” Morgan said in May. “I think you’ll see a team that will play hard and play together.”

2. A coach well-liked by his players — whose opinions matter most.

ISU senior guard Jake Sullivan, unquestionably the leader of the ISU team, made his thoughts on the new head man known soon after Morgan’s hire.

“I think it’s a smart choice,” he said. “He doesn’t play games with you; he doesn’t lie … He was all of [the team’s] first choice; he gives us the best chance to win.”

3. More wins.

During his introduction, Morgan was asked a typical question about his predictions for the ISU program under his leadership. His answer? He said he wants Iowa State to finish near the top of the Big 12 each year, participate in the NCAA Tournament each year, and be confident of winning at the beginning of every game.

Morgan has made a lot happen already. Hopefully, a winning season is next.