Retaining minority students, providing holistic experience are candidate’s goals

Dana Schmidt

The third and final candidate for the associate vice president for student affairs position cited retaining minority students as a challenge Iowa State faces during an open forum Friday.

Todd Holcomb, currently the interim assistant vice president for Student Affairs at Miami University of Oxford, Ohio, outlined his vision for Iowa State’s Office of Student Affairs in front of a crowd of about 25 in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union.

Holcomb said he is concerned with the retention of minority students at Iowa State and said the university needs more than one program to meet the needs of diverse students.

Multiculturalism is an important area because students who experience a diverse environment are better prepared for a global society, he said.

“I believe in multi-variant approaches in helping students,” Holcomb said.

Holcomb outlined two other areas he would like Iowa State’s Office of Student Affairs to be able to address.

“There needs to be collaboration within the Division of Student Affairs, with other entities and with the broader community,” Holcomb said.

Holcomb said it is important to work as part of a team and try to provide students with a holistic college experience.

“Different environments can provide different opportunities for students,” Holcomb said.

He said learning communities provide several benefits to students.

“Learning communities are the wave of the future and ISU has been working on this for awhile already and is ahead of the game,” he said.

Holcomb also spoke about the process of deciding what programs will be cut if the budget is cut.

“The process involves a lot of people,” Holcomb said.

“You have to find out what the priorities of the institution are and look at other items to figure out what things are essential to students and others on campus.”

Sharon McGuire, director of the academic success center and program coordinator for the dean of students, said she was impressed with Holcomb.

“I liked his collaborative approach and his direct experience with multiple areas within student affairs,” McGuire said.

At Miami University, Holcomb has been involved with housing and residence life, greek affairs, leadership opportunities and learning communities. He also helped create a student community center and diversity initiatives.

Holcomb said others see him as hard-working and a great motivator, but something he needs to improve on is being overextended with his involvement on different committees.

“I thought he was very knowledgeable and seemed to have good experiences,” said Keith Bystrom, associate counsel for the office of university counsel.

Those attending Friday’s forum and the two previous forums for associate vice president for Student Affairs candidates Rebecca Sanderson and Sharon George were given the opportunity to share their thoughts about the candidates by filling out an evaluation form.

The forms are due by Sept. 10 to the Division of Student Affairs central office, 2350 Beardshear Hall.

The final decision on who will fill the position will be made by Thomas Hill, vice president for student affairs, in late September.