Program welcomes freshmen, minorities

Eric Rowley

More than 275 freshmen and sophomores packed the South Ballroom of the Memorial Union Thursday evening to take part in the Welcome and Transitions Program for minority and international students.

Chatter spilled into the hallway as 30 different campus organizations, faculty and staff spoke to new students about what Iowa State has to offer.

“Students will see that the staff is here to support them,” said Grif Kolberg, program assistant for minority student affairs.

Coming from Africa to Ames or the South Side of Chicago to Ames can be a culture shock, he said.

“We are here to get students connected,” Kolberg said.

Ashley Wilson, sophomore in pre-journalism and communication and vice president of the Multicultural Action Group for the Union Drive Association, said, “It’s important for minority students to attend because it makes them feel comfortable in their environment.”

Dawniece Trumbo, sophomore in economics and president of the Multicultural Action Group of UDA, said she likes what Iowa State is doing for diversity on campus.

“[Iowa State] is doing a good job having programs available and a positive climate on campus,” Trumbo said.

Faith Diokno, freshman in liberal arts and sciences and a second-generation Filipina from Gurnee, Ill., said she hasn’t felt quite at home in Ames yet.

“I felt very left out because I didn’t fit in and people looked at me differently, but more and more I’m beginning to feel at home,” Diokno said.

Diokno has been spending a lot of time with a Filipino family she has met at church.

“They make me feel very welcome,” Diokno said.

Jenny Rivas, junior in apparel merchandising, design and production and member of the Mexican-American Young Achievers Society, said she remembers going to the same event when she was a freshman.

“It helped me out a lot when I was a freshman,” Rivas said. “It makes you aware of the diversity on campus.”

Rajiv Fernandez, freshman in civil engineering, said he has seen a lot more diversity than he expected at Iowa States.

Fernandez, along with his brother and sister, were among the first generation from his family to be born in the United State. Fernandez’s family is originally from Goa, a city on the west coast of India.

Fernandez said the final factor in his decision to come to Iowa State was the engineering program and the full ride he received through scholarships.

“I didn’t think of myself as a minority until I was given all of these scholarships from Iowa State,” he said.

“I think that it’s cool that ISU gives out scholarships to minority students,” he said.

After making his way around the crowded South Ballroom, Fernandez said he had hoped to see more.

“A lot of the organizations here are for African-Americans,” he said. “I would have liked to see more Indian organizations here.”