MU Cafe fits niche, satisfies cravings

William Dillon

Whether students have a craving screaming for ice cream, making a plea for premium coffee or begging for a quick snack on the run, the new cafe located in the Memorial Union can meet their needs.

The MU Cafe opened on the ground floor of the union at the end of August.

“In a way, we were expanding the convenience store,” said Janell Meyer, projects manager for ISU Dining.

“We wanted to offer premium coffee with espresso drinks, as well as some other upscale items.”

Located on the ground floor of the Memorial Union across from Onion’s Convenience Store, the MU Cafe is well into its third week of operation.

One may think a place that specializes in coffee, espressos and baked goods would attract mostly morning business, but Meyer said sales usually remain steady throughout the day.

“This afternoon, people were really going for ice cream and smoothies,” she said.

While the MU Cafe sees the least amount of business during lunch hours, Meyer said business is otherwise steady.

“All snack times are our busiest times,” she said.

Meyer said business has been going well and has been increasing since the opening.

The MU Cafe has filled the void left by Robert Bros. coffee bar, who vacated the area shortly before its contract with the Union expired, said Kate Bruns, communications specialist for the Department of Residence.

On April 25, Iowa State announced its decision to not renew the lease of Robert Bros., but extended the lease until June 30, Bruns said. The owners of Robert Bros. abruptly decided to stop doing business in the Memorial Union on May 29.

The space remained empty for most of the summer while ISU Dining developed plans for the area.

Because the MU Cafe is an Iowa State-managed facility, students will be able to pay for convenience items and snacks through Dining Dollar$

With the merger between ISU Dining and the Memorial Union last January, students have experienced much more flexibility with Dining Dollar$, Bruns said. Students now have the opportunity to use Dining Dollar$ at the food court and Onion’s C-Store, located in the Memorial Union.

“We are continuing to look for other options for students to use their Dining Dollar$,” Bruns said.

The MU Cafe is open seven days a week, 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the weekends.