Haluska reflects on ISU, considers Iowa

Lucas Grundmeier

Iowa State’s men’s basketball program looks a lot different than it did when former Cyclone Adam Haluska signed his national letter of intent in fall 2001.

The Cyclones were coming off back-to-back Big 12 Conference championships. Marcus Fizer and Jamaal Tinsley were first-round NBA draft picks in the previous two seasons. The Cyclones had two sophomores coming off great freshman campaigns in Jake Sullivan and Shane Power. Larry Eustachy was national coach of the year in 2000.

“[When I signed], I had so much respect for the university,” Haluska said Monday. “I really respected Coach Eustachy. My family was really close to all of the coaches.”

Of the five coaches on Iowa State’s staff when Haluska enrolled in 2002, only new head coach Wayne Morgan and assistant Bob Sundvold remain. Eustachy resigned after admitting he had a drinking problem and had embarrassed the university. Randy Brown resigned and was charged with child pornography. Steve Barnes was suspended after being accused of threatening a player’s family.

Power transferred after the 2001—2002 season. Numerous current players have had run-ins with the law. Most recently, forward Jackson Vroman was arrested May 24.

“If you look at it now, it’s a drastic difference,” Haluska said.

The Iowa State Athletic Department announced Wednesday Haluska had asked for and been granted an unconditional release from his scholarship, meaning he could transfer to any Division I school and play after sitting out one season.

As recently as May 20, Haluska had said publicly that he would remain at Iowa State for the 2003—2004 year.

Haluska said the past year in Ames was a difficult one.

“It was just a tough year,” he said. “I just kind of got sick of the whole basketball deal.”

The turmoil surrounding the program, media pressure, and other problems came to be too much when combined with the demands of the basketball season and school, he said.

Haluska said he was sincere May 20 when he said he was returning.

“That was my intention,” he said. “Some things happened.”

Haluska said he realized it was more important for him to leave Iowa State, where he was not happy, than to try to please coaches, teammates and fans. He said his decision was not merely the result of rethinking his decision, but that new developments helped instigate the reversal.

“I’m not here to bash Iowa State,” he said. “I’m close to a lot of people — with players that are there, with some of the coaches there. It was hard to let go.”

Haluska said when he made his announcement about staying at Iowa State, he thought that his current melancholy would go away with time.

But, a week later, he decided to pursue his academic and basketball careers elsewhere.

Steve Roe, associate sports information director at Iowa, said the role of the Iowa Athletic Department is finished until Haluska signs a letter of intent.

Roe said Iowa received Haluska’s release Friday. Haluska said he visited the University of Iowa campus over the weekend.

Haluska played with current Hawkeyes Jeff Horner and Greg Brunner on an AAU basketball team in high school.

Other schools have called Haluska about his services, he said. He said he would take his time making a final decision. Haluska will have three years of eligibility remaining at his new school after missing next season.